The 60+'ers and their cars.

eeboater

Commander
I love cars, I am confident in my description when I call myself a car enthusiast. I think that the lines of an exotic like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Bentley are works of art.<br /><br />Yet I need a little explanation. Whats with the 60+'ers and the types of cars they choose?! Why is that almost every 60+'er has some variant of a Buick LeSabre, Lincoln Town Car, or a Caddy? I'm Lost! I just don't understand it! Is it like teenagers and and Air Jordan's? A fad of some sorts? Or is it that they finally are buying the "Luxury" car they always wanted?<br /><br />Can anyone shed some light?<br /><br />Sean

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: The 60+'ers and their cars.

They were around for WWII, they'll never drive Italian or German or Japanese, or probably British or French either for that matter!

ehenry

Commander

My daddy is 85 and he never drove a caddy unitl he retired. He retired one day and the next day he went to the caddy dealership and traded the Buick LeSabre that mamma drove in on a Sedan Deville and he's been driving caddys ever since and he's been retired 23 years.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> They were around for WWII, they'll never drive Italian or German or Japanese, or probably British or French either for that matter!
I get that. But why do they always end up in the typical car. Instead of a Taurus or the like.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

Must be something to do with the life of the turn signal flasher on Buick. They last forever. :p

Laddies

Banned

Old people like large cars for protection when we run into you kids :D :D :D Bob

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

lmao @ NYM<br /><br />I'm not to sure about others but, my parents always had a Lincoln of some type in the garage either a Mark, Continental, or Town Car..<br /><br />ride comfort thing. Taurus (and similars) just don't have it.<br /><br />I think they're in a crisis right now.. heard my mother talking about how the new XJ rides.. I'm miffed.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hummm, about stereotypes.<br />Age for both wife and I is 62.<br />My ride is a Lincoln Mark VIII. 2 plus 2 Luxury Sports Car. 285 Hp Intec, twin DOHC 32 valve, 4.6 liter engine. 4 wheel air suspension, automatically lowers 1/2 inch at highway speeds. Handles like it's on rails. Top speed (I'm not telling). Yep, a real old fogey's car. <br />Wife's ride is a Cadillac Seville. It does have four doors but it also has the 275 HP Northstar, active suspension contol, full anti skid, etc. Handles almost as well as my Lincoln and Karen will not say how fast it runs (but I know).<br />Guess she's a fogey too. <br />Bill... :)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I'm 67 and don't own any of those cars. I have a VW Passat turbo, a Chevy Colorado pickup, a Toyota Celica GT hatchback, and a '92 Dodge Dakota pickup with a 440. Guess I'm just an old fogey.... sigh.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am 69 and a certifiable car nut. I am particularly fond of Mercedes Benz. I have had 8. Current one is a '99 ML430 with Stilling cat back pipes. Goes like stink and makes the sweetest sounds since flatheads went away.<br /><br />I would have a SLK but I don't like folding up to get in a car any more and I hate unfolding to get out even worse.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The older folks around here seem to like the crown vics.with the spot light and antenna off the back.I think their just ornery and like driving around all day 10 mph under the speed limit,just to mess with me.I'll probably do the same thing when I retire.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I have noticed that a lot of older folks prefer to drive cars that have a resemblance to boats,could it be that they may have a two stroke or a four stroke under the hood?<br />or maybe they're using the wrong oil :confused: :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I don't see many Corvettes driven by anyone under sixty.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My Mom (early 70s) drives a Merc Grand Marquis. Besides just prefering larger cars, she feels she needs to have some meat around her due to all the SUVs and pickup trucks around. She doesn't mind smaller cars, but prefers the comfort level the Giant American Sedan provides.

rogerwa

Commander

My mom doesn't like bucket seats. She'll take the bench please.. Thats why they drove K-cars and Reliants for a couple decades.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

but why is it old folks always choose cars that have an acceleration rate of 0 to the speed limit(or 10MPH less) of about 1.5 miles ?<br />should be a lwaw that after age 65 ya should have push bars mounted on the back so those of us with a place to go can assist in their acceleration :) :) . aint nothing like being stuck behind a cap or a blue hair that cant reach the accelerater. if ya dont believe it run the 158 bypass from kitty hawk to whalebone everyday. seems particularly bad if the tags are from MD,OH,PA,NJ and FL. man them cars cant go.<br /> but one day I will retire,move up nawth an drive real slow,straddling the white line with my flasher on and a steady tapping of the brakes so as to constanty keep my brake lamps flashing. maybe by then I will have a cell phone as well:) with a few uturns or left turns from the right lane tossed in just for giggles.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

LOL .. yea we've got our share of the 'accelorator optional' 60+ folks up here .. <br /><br />I did fail to mention that my G-mother Ruby (in her 80's) drives her '02 Seville SLS on Minneapolis roadways like Al Unser at Indy.. :D <br /><br />she's been a luxury HP fanatic since I've been alive..

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Rodbolt, you have not seen my Ma drive. Its like when Han Solo kicks in the light drive on the Millenium Falcon. I swear she replaced the gas pedal with an On/Off switch. Its pretty damn funny to see though, she'll just wind that Grand Marquis out, and then complain about fuel economy. She always was a speeder. Guess I'll have to turn the other way when I am on patrol... :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) A 60+er to 71 year old person was not around for WW 2 A 71 year old would have been 12 years old in 46, when the war was over!!! Your looking at Korean and Vietnam vets and non vets!!!! And come to think of it, there aren't that many ww 2 left, they are dieing at about 1,000 a day through out this country!!!<br /><br />Anyway,I think that after working 35-40years and saving a little and obtaining a little wealth, it's time for that, Lexus, caddy, bmw, mercedes, etc: Also some people have retired with good pensions after working 30+ years for the same company!!! And remember we also bought houses for 10-20 thousand that are worth 300-500 thousand today!!! ;) :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yea my granpa was like that. two throttle positions. idle or stopmed. was funny when he had an old coronet with a 440. he could not hear well and could not hear the tires squeel :) :) . but he did complain about the cheap rubber cause the tires did not last.<br /> but most around here cant seem to go from 0 to 50 in less than 1.5 miles.