Thanks For the Help III

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all that input on the carb problems I was having with my 1960 40hp Seahourse. To many to name but especially Boatbuoy who got me heading in the right direction.<br />The problem turned out to be the float valve was not seating all the way causing the engine to pop and die from flooding. Got it running and the ice is out up here in the great Northern woods. For how <br />long?<br /> Next delema, how do I tell if this engine is a salt water or fresh?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Thanks For the Help III

You mean can you use it in Salt? Yes, absolutely. The corrosion resistance of parts on these old Big Twins is excellent. Stainless driveshaft, propshaft, pump bits, and normally all the fasteners below the water line. Bad spots are normally the powerhead bolts, and the long carriage type bolt that holds the transom clamps on. Some years seem to have more stainless fasteners than others.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

G'day Billy, I am interested in reading your original post. Not sure if there is a proper way of searching for it but thought I may as well just ask you for date etc.

Paul Moir

Admiral

tdp63, just click Maddog's "Posts: 24" above and you can see his last 50 posts.