Thanks Dhadley- Small bore?/ Large bore?

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a little confused. This piston diameter on this engine looks rather large- roughly 4 inches. Does a 85 140 rude come with a smaller sized piston or was this engine modified. The top of the pistons are flat headed. Sorry for being such a "greenie"<br />but I am eager to learn and I want to know what I am talking about when dealing with machinists, mechanics, etc. All I spoke to said I couldn't do this job myself (actually with a friend who is a car mechanic) because there are special tools needed -especially a puller (mucho money) needed to remove the flywheel. Hearing all this just gets me more confused because I'm not a mechanic but game enough to try this task. You seem like you're VERY experienced and skilled. Would I be getting over my head? Have a Clymers manual which seems more generalized than detailed<br />Are you suggesting that it may a better idea to bore out each of the cylinders to accomodate a wider/lighter piston that they started to use after 1996. Thanks again Dhadley for coming to the rescue! <br /><br />Sal G

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thanks Dhadley- Small bore?/ Large bore?

I wish we could have stayed with the same thread. <br /><br />OK. The 1985 loopers had a standard bore size of 3.500". In 1988 they were increased to 3.685". Look at your head gaskets. There is a tab at the top that sticks out past the cylinder head. Is it perfectly straight across the top or does it have a small notch cut in it?<br /><br />Please stick with this topic (thread). Thanks!!

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Thanks Dhadley- Small bore?/ Large bore?

Hi Dhadley-<br />There is a definitely a small notch that protrudes from the gasket. <br />From what you describe there isn't much of a difference in the diameter of the small / large bore configuration- guess that what threw me off. Just looks "large" to begin with. <br />Try to tackle it? Don't want jump into something<br />I may not be able to complete because of tools, skills, etc. Just seeking an honest evaluation<br />Sorry for topic / thread miscue. Didn't realize <br />I handled this post the incorrect way.<br />Thanks again,<br />SalG