Thank you OldMercsRule and Scatty

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice
:DGuys,
Geat news. I placed the original lower unit back on today, Drained the gear oil and no metal shaving except an amount that was maybe the size of the head of a pin. Got all my gears aligned and it actually sounded different, Like a clunk or at least now you can hear reverse gear catching. I am so glad I listened to OldMercs and did not go into the gears and remove the Shift shaft bushing

Guess I never tried to turn the shift shaft with a pliers only by hand or even with the pliers not hard enuff. seems forward has about 350 dgs of play and reverse and neutral only 5 degrees, well anyway I found reverse. it locks in place and does not go either way....THANK YOU SO MUCH, Proof will be when I place it in the water and I will let you know if we move in reverse now....Now all I have to do is wait for the tach to arrive to check my reading and make any adjustments if need be to the prop pitch. Now only if we can figure out the backwards controler...LOL I guess after it being like this 6 years I might as well leave it alone

anyway thank you both for your time and especially for the call OldMercs

Adam:D

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Thank you OldMercsRule and Scatty

Glad it was what we guessed and that your lu was not the problem. I would deal with that goofy control box situation ASAP. I would not be comfortable at all with the upside down controls, and there could be unintended cornsequences to keep running that way. Good luck JR

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

OldMercs,

Sure will...Matter fact i am in the process of looking for a new controller now. Its in the controller not the engine. I will post the RPM's as soon as the Tach is received...Also i took your advice and found a spare L/U...Will this be a match?

1972 Mercury 140 Hp........?

OldMercsRule

Captain

OldMercs,

Sure will...Matter fact i am in the process of looking for a new controller now. Its in the controller not the engine. I will post the RPM's as soon as the Tach is received...Also i took your advice and found a spare L/U...Will this be a match?

1972 Mercury 140 Hp........?

As long as the shaft length is 20" and in good shape it is almost exactly what you now have. Sounds great! JR

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

That's one helpful feller right there... yessir.

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

As long as the shaft length is 20" and in good shape it is almost exactly what you now have. Sounds great! JR

The seller is not nearby and when asked if it is a long or short shaft he stated that he was not sure due to somthing...This is the info he gave me...

This lower unit had a spacer extention on it so I am told that it is a short shaft which surprised me. I dont have the cowl,,so I can't take the measurement that you ask for. My measurement that I list is from the top of the waterpump housing to the top of the driveshaft.

Lower Unit Housing Part No. 1623-4749
Mercury Outboard Serial Number: 3426951
Oil has been drained (Is clean, Not murky)
No cracks in casing
Very small cosmetic chip in Cavitation Plate
15 Teeth on Prop Shaft
8 Teeth on Drive Shaft
Drive Shaft extends 16? above water Pump Housing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. he is not a boat owner, He runs an estate auction company........OOOOps never mind I should have read the numbers better if the shaft is only 16 inches above the housing this must be a short shaft....sorry to have bothered you guys