Thank GOD for the trolling motor...lol

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All<br />I have a Evinrude #60173 year: 1971 HP: 60 hydro electric took it to the lake and had a bad day !<br />started in gear no nuetral and could only start in full reverse but it wasnt in reverse still went foward and if i went to neutral it bogged down and died .At full throttle foward it was like at idle and did barely 5mph? then would stall and eventually just wouldnt start and it also smelled flooded.when i ran it last night in driveway on the muffs it ran fine but got over heat horn and also noticed smoke puff from throttle control so i shut down fast .but seemed ok. I ohmed shift solenoids in lower unit got 6 ohms on one and 8 ohms on other im going to take apart throttle tomorrow any suggestion on what to look at?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thank GOD for the trolling motor...lol

Yea Tom.....look for a new motor...... :D NAWWWWWW! Just jerkin' yer' chain a little.. :)<br /><br />Let's look at individual problems here.<br /><br />When running on muffs, you got the overheat horn and saw a puff of smoke from the controls. I'd say ya' got a good short in there which set off the overheat horn, (if the engine was not really over heating) and maybe fried the shift switch. It'll probably be real obvious when you open the control box. This would explain why you didn't have any neutral. It may also explain why the engine wouldn't run worth a hoot also. Chances are the choke solenoid lead from the control box shorted to hot and may be keeping the choke closed. This would explain the poor rpm and smell of gas.<br /><br />Let us know what you see once you open the control box.....thanks!

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Ok will do thanks read up on manual for trouble shooting shift switch .

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

ok pulled throttle body apart today and shift switch<br />was boken in half! . Choke switch and ignition switch will be replaced also . That shift switch is not cheap found it at ishopmarine for 89.$ any one know of an alternate for less $ .?<br />Thanks Again

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That's a lot cheaper than BRP price of $100.54!