Texas Floods

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
JB,<br /><br />I just saw on tv that there's been some huge floods in Texas; ...and I thought we had all the rain down here in NZ at present.<br /><br />I hope the Hideout is ok ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Texas Floods

Hi, Kiwi.<br /><br />We've had more rain in a few months than in an average year and I'm sick of it. If you mix this high humidity with the mid 90s(F) temps my glasses fog up when I go outdoors.<br /><br />Fortunately, The Hideout is high ground and is not threatened, but one of my daughters lives in the valley south of Temple. That is north of the flooded area. She is safe so far. :)

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kiwi & JB<br /><br />Had some friends up on the headwaters (Texas Hill Country) where they got upwards of 25 inches. They have been camping there for 50 years and have never seen the river rise that high. My brother dumped 22 inches from his gauge in North San Antonio. He lives up high. <br /><br />I am down in South Texas where about a third of the runoff is filling our lakes. The fishing should be fantastic in the spring.<br /><br />While I watched as the rain fell from the sky I was still amazed at how idiotic some people can be. Even with all the notification of the up coming flood waters many people still refused to leave and were stranded. <br /><br />JB I have a sister that lives in Temple. She is the mean one.<br /><br />Below is a web site that will show you the Guadalupe river at Victoria Texas about 60 miles north of me.<br /><br /> http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08176500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ranger & JB,<br /><br />I'm glad to hear that your own properties are not flooded.<br /><br />Here in NZ we can relate to what you're going through, as we're getting huge rainfall too - only it's a cool winter here at this time of year.<br /><br />On tv I just saw one of our farmers in Waikato rowing a boat around his farm. My first thought was how lucky he is to have his own private lake - but I don't think he'd share my point of view on that... :( <br /><br />It must be especially annoying for you, to have this take up so much of the boating season. <br /><br />Here's hoping for some nice dry weather in both locations... :cool: :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Kiwi.<br /><br />I guess we are fortunate that the boating season it Texas is about 12 months. I don't boat when the temp is over 100* or under 40* and I don't boat in thunderstorms. That means I boat year-'round.<br /><br />Cheers :)

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

This too shall pass.<br />Then I will be back after some Bass!<br /><br />Most people in general don't realize how good they have it until it is flooded. Mother Nature is a very powerful ol' gal.<br /><br />Our farmers down here have been praying for rain. It was too late for the corn and sorgrum, but just right for the cotton. Since it has rained though, they can not get into the fields to harvest the corn and sorgrum.