Texas City fishing

MiKeC.

Cadet
Been fishing Moses Lake, by the flood, what would be the best fishing rig to use? (for live shimp) Carolina Rig? Any suggestions would be helpfull.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Texas City fishing

This is the way I rig.<br /><br />First slip your line through the center of your cork so it slides and is not fixed. Then put an egg/slip sinker on. Once you have that rigged then tie your leader on.<br /><br />I use about a 2' leader with my live bait and a 6 or 8 treble. This way your live bait can swim, because your weight sinks to the bottom and your cork will float. If the current is strong, use a heavier sinker.<br /><br />I don't know if this rig has a name but I've been using it for years and its my preferred way to rig live bait.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ladyfish, do you prefer that over just free shrimping?<br /><br />On live shrimp we usually just tie on a hook and thats it.<br /><br />Dad went with a guide 2 weeks ago and they used a cork with live shrimp.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

Ken, I've been using this method for many years and always catch flounder, trout and redfish. The only time I free line is when I fish submerged lights and there is little current.<br /><br />Try it, you'll like it. ;)

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the point of using the cork? Wouldn't it just float the line that is between the rod and the weight? Or should the cork be on the leader side of the weight?

LadyFish

Admiral

Several reasons to use a cork.<br /><br />When live bait is fished under a popping or clacking cork, it just makes trout fishing exciting. Trout are predators and agressive fish the noise of a popping cork brings them into the area of your bait.<br /><br />There's the visual excitement involved in watching the cork take a sudden plunge, and watching a live shrimp jumping across the surface as it's chased by a swirling trout is even better.<br /><br />It also just helps me know where my line is at all times. The current changes quickly and it helps me keep it from getting caught up under the prop.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sonds good. Have you been catching drum lately? My son and I are just starting to fish in Galveston. We were in the ship channel close to the Coast Guard building a couple of weeks ago using 1/2 crabs.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Rhadley:<br /> Sonds good. Have you been catching drum lately? My son and I are just starting to fish in Galveston. We were in the ship channel close to the Coast Guard building a couple of weeks ago using 1/2 crabs.
Sea lice work well on drum too.If you want to catch the big specks,use live croaker of 4"-6" under a cork or free lining.It'll bypass all of the schoolies.Reds will hit em too if they're there but prefer live mullet if you can get em.

LadyFish

Admiral

Rhadley, right now big speckeled trout up to 30" are being caught near the causeway. I haven't heard any report of drum being caught.