Testing Ignition System - '75 70hp Johnson

70smithy

Cadet
I am trying to troubleshoot a lack of power with my 1975 70 hp Johnson. Fuel system checks out and I have spark, but weak. Now to test the ignition system...

All I could secure to do the tests was a multimeter with peak hold. I had read about a substitute for measuring DVA with a peak voltage meter was to take a reading of AC volts x 1.41, so that's what I used to get the following numbers: (all of the resistance numbers checked out so they are not included)

Stator output - 110 V
Timer base (to ground) - 165 V
Power pack output to ignition coils - #1 - 66v, #2 - 65v, #3 - 63v

The last numbers were the toughest to test as I had to crank the motor with the coil wire disconnected in order to test the output so the motor was chugging on two cylinders.

Any feedback on my results would be great. I am trying real hard to get to the bottom of this and determine if it is a stator or power pack problem.

atlapp

Seaman
Re: Testing Ignition System - '75 70hp Johnson

I have a 78 70hp johnson that had weak spark...I pulled flywheel and inspected stator, it looked good...took some sand paper and cleaned inside of flywheel....ran every test I could find in manual...with very little results....replaced power pack and it now runs like a champ...the power pack can cause some very strange problems...mine would run for 30 to 40 seconds then die once power pack got hot and would not restart until it cooled down...you are having a similar problem it sounds like...the good news is its the power pack, stator or timer base lol...I would guess power pack.

70smithy

Cadet

Thanks for the post. When your pack was giving you trouble, did you notice that the flywheel would be real hot to the touch after you ran the motor? Just curious. I hope it is the power pack and not the others since I do not want to have to remove the flywheel and because its much cheaper.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to the CDI website and check you numbers against there troubleshooting guide, maybe that will give you some ansewers.

atlapp

Seaman

Did not notice flywheel getting hot Smithy, really pretty easy to remove flywheel and look for any signs of leakage around stator, rust etc...