Tester for density

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice
Does any one know of a tool that can check for density of a boats hull or deck. Looking for a way to check for the soundness of the wood with out gouging, beating, and drilling to find rot. Much like a stud finder . I know there is a way to measure a steel hull for thickness but can fiberglass work also.

Frank

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tester for density

Frank, I built my boat from marine ply and two different species of mahogany. I measured the density (actually SG or specific grvity) of the Phillippine mahogany at about 0.6 and some of the Honduran mahorany was around 0.9 . I just bring this up to note that there can be a lot of variability in materials.

scipper77

Commander

Does any one know of a tool that can check for density of a boats hull or deck. Looking for a way to check for the soundness of the wood with out gouging, beating, and drilling to find rot. Much like a stud finder . I know there is a way to measure a steel hull for thickness but can fiberglass work also.

Frank

Density and thickness are 2 different things. I think there are thermal type cameras that will show you moisture but they are pricey. You may be able to find a good marine surveyor who has the equipment you need.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

You can also check for moisture trapped in the hull with a moisture meter. You'd need a good one, like this http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-SurveyMaster-Moisture-Meter-Protimeter/dp/B000FSPQPQ And no, you don't stab the hull with the pins, there is a flat surface (not pictured) that you place on the hull. There are other brands/models, but I have this one, and it's great.

21V4TXEK4XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, and once you get the base readings of the hull, you can also tell if there are voids, because you either will get a lower reading, or a zero where air pockets are.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I was just thinking how useful a "density meter " would be while interviewing prospective employees....:D