Test run tomorrow - what to look for

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I will be test running a 2008 Chaparral SSi 210. This will be our first boat we have owned although I have been on boats before. A few of my friends have new boats, however, the ones I have driven were a little older. These newer boats have a lot of feature that I am not fimiliar with.

What things should I make sure I do or have the dealer show me to get a good feel for this boat. One of my best friends has a 2000 model of this boat and we love it, but even this boat has more features.

Thanks for any help or tips.

Jon

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Test run tomorrow - what to look for

4.3L 5.0 L or 5.7 anything smaller runaway. know what every switch is for, and where the component it operates is. so when it fails you know where it is to replace. is it accessable. don't accept delivery of your boat until everything is operating properly.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I am actually testing a similar model on the floor. Our boat will be ordered once we decide to get the Chaparral (comparing it to a Sea Ray currently). The engine will be the Volvo GXi 5.0, 270 hp.

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner

Which engine are you testing?

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I am testing and plan on ordering the SSi210 with the Volvo GXi, 5.0, 270 hp. The dealer gave me an upgrade price of $1200 over the stock 5.0, 220 hp and I could not resist.

SkeeterBro

Cadet

If you going to water demo a boat that you are not actually purchasing. Than all you need to worry about is if the model you are testing fits your need's, and if the boat performs the way you expected. Of course you will want to get a demonstration of all features and options. Open all the compartments flip all the switches ect... Other that that..Have Fun! And burn as much free gas as possible!

I would suggest that you bring as many people on the test ride as you think you will have with you on a typical outing. This way you will get a real world fell for the space you will have. Also you will get a better idea of how it will perform on your typical outing.

On my last water demo I had 8 passengers on a 22' deck boat!:eek:

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

SkeeterBro - That was one thing I was wondering, whether it looked tacky to bring a few people. I would like to bring a couple to se what it is like with 5 or 6 people in the boat, but I was not sure if the dealer allowed that for insurance purposes. I might check if a friend from work that knows boat pretty wel could come and then I can see if the saleman could get another employee to tag along.

The boat I am taking out will be equipted exactly how our's will be, just a differnt color (although the yellow with the wakeboard graphic does look cool - we are getting blue though).

Thanks for the info, keep it coming if you got anything else.

Jon

SkeeterBro

Cadet

Be sure an informe your sales person that you would like to bring a few passengers along. He may need to make some special arrangements if you will be bringing guest. But it should not be a problem.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second the motion of bringing the same amount of people in the boat that you'll regularly have. A boats hull reacts very differently under load. Also see if the 270hp engine is enough for your needs. Does it take time to plane? You feel enough power in reserve to tow one or two skiers? Give your knowledgeable friend the wheel for while. He will be in a better position to judge the handling.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

Well, we went on the test run and it was great. The two salesmen that went along with us were great at showing us hte ins and outs of the boat. i was really suprised at how smoothly it was. We hit 5 MPH with 4 people and a full tank and I think it had a little more. Defininately going with the 270 hp motor.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, we went on the test run and it was great. The two salesmen that went along with us were great at showing us hte ins and outs of the boat. i was really suprised at how smoothly it was. We hit 5 MPH with 4 people and a full tank and I think it had a little more. Defininately going with the 270 hp motor.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon

Hopefully you meant 50 MPH...5 mph at WOT?? Sounds like a cruise ship! LOL

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys, I guess I was typing to quickly for my own good, it hit 55mph and probably had a 2-4 more to go with proper trimming.