Test for enough oil in gas?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Filled boat tanks last week-ran short of oil after partially adding oil.
Is there a test to determine if I mixed enough in when I came back later that day?
So much was happening that day I'm not sure if I completed the mix..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Test for enough oil in gas?

If mosquitoes start dying when you crank the motor you have enough oil.;)

What's your ratio?

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

How big is your fuel tank? Do you have any idea how much oil you added before running out?
I think if i was unsure about my fuel/oil mix i would drain the tank and start over. I know gas is not cheap but engines are really expensive. Contact your local landfill or hazmat office to find out how to properly dispose of gas.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IS there a test to determine PRESENT ratio of oil to gas? Or is there not?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It can be drained and ran in a car or truck. Not that I have ever hear of.

jestor68

Commander

When you say that you "filled both tanks", I assume you're talking about portable gas tanks(6 gal?).

If you're unsure if you put in enough oil, just dump another 16 oz bottle in there to be safe. It would be like running a "break in" tank through the motor again. It will not hurt anything. It'll just produce a little more smoking.

Running it short on lubrication will definitely hurt the motor.

86 century

Ensign

Don't waste the gas most fairly modern cars will burn it ok. Worst thing you will haft replace the plugs in a four stroke. An older carb model anyway.

I run left over premix in most all 4strokes that lay up for the winter

NYBo

Admiral

I'm having a bit of a hard time following what you're asking. If you know how much gas you pumped and how much oil you added, you should have a ballpark idea of the ratio. However, too much oil is better than too little, so add what your best guess of what you're missing plus 25 to 50% extra.

In the future, consider adding the oil to the tank first based on an estimate of how much fuel you need to top off the tank. Then pump in the number of gallons to make the right mixture. If you overestimated how much you needed to fill the tank, you'll have some extra oil. If you underestimated, add some oil, then gas.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you can send a sample to a lab for testing...not really practical though.

Figure out how much you added, drain it out, or just add more oil, these are your options.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes i think there is a way to test the gas for oil/gas ratio. I work as a diesel mechanic and we send in samples of different fluids to be analyzed all the time. The tests are very expensive but i think they could tell you what you want to know. Just visit your local Construction or Ag equipment dealer to find out how to submit a sample. I almost forgot it takes about 10 to 14 days to get the results back.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you talking about the older 85HP Evinrude listed in your post? Typical breakin oil/fuel ratio on a 2 cycle outboard was double the ratio. In other words if your ratio was 50 to 1 you would run 25 to 1 for the first 12 hours. I don't know of any test to tell you what your present ratio is, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add what you thought you were short. To get a better answer of adding more than the recommended ratio you may want to post your question in the Evinrude forum.

UncleWillie

Captain

I am trying to think of Quantitative method. :confused:
I just love these problems. :D

In the interim, try this Qualitative method.

Mix up a batch of gas with the correct mixture using the same brand of oil and gas.

Obtain two identical jars or glasses.

Pour your reference gas in one Jar and an equal amount of gas taken from the tank in the other Jar.
Both quantities need to be as close as possible.

Compare the colors of the two samples.
Looking DOWN into the bottom of the jar sitting on white paper can help increase the visual contrast.

Gas is yellow.
Oil is usually a denser blue or green.
If the tank sample is lighter than the reference sample, you did not add enough oil. :(

Brewman61

Ensign

When you say that you "filled both tanks", I assume you're talking about portable gas tanks(6 gal?).

If you're unsure if you put in enough oil, just dump another 16 oz bottle in there to be safe. It would be like running a "break in" tank through the motor again. It will not hurt anything. It'll just produce a little more smoking.

Running it short on lubrication will definitely hurt the motor.

Makes a lot of sense. If indeed we're talking about 12 gallons of gas, that costs close to $50. Good idea to simply add a pint to each tank.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's not like making a souffle'. The ratio is not that important to an outboard. Err on the side of adding some more oil and fagedaboutit.

etracer68

Ensign

To answer the OP, YES, get it tested. Easy way is to just add more oil. No need to get gruppy.
"IS there a test to determine PRESENT ratio of oil to gas? Or is there not?"