terry nichols

mattttt25

Commander
just read that the jury deadlocked again during sentencing. no execution.<br /><br />don't get me wrong, i think he should have been executed long ago. i'm a big death penalty fan.<br /><br />but does anyone else agree this was a big waste of money? he was already tried and sentenced to life in a federal court. why waste the time and money to go for the death penalty. in hindsight, it accomplished nothing.<br /><br />just wondering how others feel.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: terry nichols

I don't necessarily feel that it was a waste, any more than any failed effort is a waste.<br /><br />Survivors asked for closure at the State level. Maybe they wanted vengeance, maybe they wanted insurance against parole or some other release mechanism putting Nichols back on the street someday.<br /><br />Was it worth a try? I wouldn't have done it, but I didn't lose a loved one in the bombing.

mattttt25

Commander

yes,jb, if i lost a loved one, i would probably feel diffently.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

The part about preparing for future release doesn't fly. In every state in the US there is no statute of limitations on murder. If by some odd ball chance they start to release him OK has a detainer on him keeping him from walking. The state can then start their preceedings and nail him again.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think he WANTS to walk in public. Lot of angry folks out there!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by trblshtr:<br /> I don't think he WANTS to walk in public. Lot of angry folks out there!
Yea, accidents do happen. ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The money could have been better spent on something else. Could have divided it amongst the family members.<br /><br />Was a prosecuter trying to make a name for him/herself?<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

161 counts of murder and no death sentence for Nichols? :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />If the guy were a serial killer I could understand it, maybe because you'd want to keep the guy alive in order to potentially solve those type of cases, but not in this case.<br /><br />How many people does one get to kill before he gets the death penalty?