Tennessee River Info

jstormy

Cadet
Planning a cruise on the Tennessee - Knoxville to Chattanooga area. Looking for someone with knowledge of this area. Specifically looking for sand to stop play/camp on. Thanks! Jstormy

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tennessee River Info

BoatUS magazine did a story in the latest mag.I got mine recently.On the front cover it mentions Knoxville to Nashville.Might be some good info.for you there

WTL

Seaman

Someone should tell that poor magazine that the tennessee doesnt go through nashville. ;)

Greer

Cadet

I have been on the Tennessee most all over and the only where I know of sand is the lower river Kentucky Lake I live on Pickwick lake and all we have is limestone and rock.

jbanderson

Seaman Apprentice

yep lots and lots of sand below pickwick dam. Good luck

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Someone should tell that poor magazine that the tennessee doesnt go through nashville. ;)

Maybe someone shoudl tell poor you to read the article so you understand the trip.

It also includes GA, AL, and KY.

Planning a cruise on the Tennessee - Knoxville to Chattanooga area. Looking for someone with knowledge of this area. Specifically looking for sand to stop play/camp on. Thanks! Jstormy

Hey Jstormy,
I live near TN river mile 553 and have spent many weekends backcountry camping on nearby islands. My favorite sand beach is at N 35* 47.525', W 84* 38.800' and the little bay between the islands there is a real popular anchorage. More private beach at N 35* 47.430', W 84* 39.360' you'll want to be careful here if your boat has a deep draft. Large backcountry campsite and pretty fair sand beach at N 35* 45.030', W 84* 42.610'. Then there's Sand Island at N 35* 40.920', W 84* 44.720', you might've guessed from the name that its pretty well sand beach all the way round and has a "kiddie pool" between the islands. Let me know when you're passing through so I can buy you a beer.

jstormy

Cadet

Hey Huckleberry -

Thanks for the great info! It was exactly what I was looking for. We traveled this section of the river 5 years ago and did spend a night on Sand Island.

We just set our dates - we'll be putting the boats in Sat. May 17th at Shell Mound Rec Area Mile 425 and traveling up to Knoxville and back for a week. We'll be in your area mid-week for a couple of days. Maybe we could contact you when we're in your area and meet up. Send me a PM with your contact info and we'll be in touch.

Jstormy

PM sent... I think.

I'll be looking forward to your visit. Maybe I'll have a marine radio by then.