Tennessee...a great place to visit

LadyFish

Admiral
I took my first solo road trip last week from Galveston to Tennessee. At first I was a little nervous about traveling by myself especially stopping at rest areas, etc.<br /><br />I broke the trip down into two days leaving last Sunday to arrive Monday night at my Dads. I've been to Louisiana quite a few times and was prepared for the road construction and scenery. I was really surprised how beautiful the drive through Mississippi was and if I had to rate the cleanest most secure and friendly rest stops in the 1,800 mile round trip, Mississippi ranks number one. Natchez Trace was really beautiful with Cardinals flying everywhere, an occassional deer, and even had an opportunity to see vulchers up close picking away at the many possoms that fell prey to vehicular traffic.<br /><br />When I arrived at my Dad's, only 3 miles away from from Fort Campbell we went into town to pick up a few things. Everyone was so friendly and cordial. Doors were opened for me, a complete stranger carried my bag of ice to the car and everyone just seem to all be smiling and happy to do their job. No sour pusses, people seem to make a special effort to go out of their way to be friendly. Being close to the base, military personnel were everywhere and it was nice to share a smile and a hello with those who serve.<br /><br />Embarrassingly, it's been nearly 10 years since I spent any time with my father. The last time we saw eachother was at a family reunion with far too many people around to have any one on one time.<br /><br />He and I made the rounds in Clarksville and had a great time joking and jabbing one another and for the first time in a very long time, I felt like a child again. He waited on me hand and foot and treated me like a princess. Opening car doors, pulling my chair out for me...all the little gestures I remember he did for my Mom. He even brought me to a full service gas station and had all my fluids checked, the air in the tires, filled it up with "high test" and took me to have the car washed. The morning before I left I had to wait while he wiped all the dew off my windows and packed a cooler full of gooies for me.<br /><br />My relationship with my father had been strained for many years and this was an important visit for both of us especially now that he is over 70.<br /><br />I guess I had never developed a relationship with him on an adult level before since we'd only seen eachother a total of 4 times in the past 25 years and it was always with lots of other family members around. I found how much we are alike and that we both felt this immense void in our lives for way too long.<br /><br />I'm posting this to encourage anyone who hasn't spent quality time with their parents to do so before its too late and all you have to live with is regrets. Forgive them and forget any differences you may have had in the past. The rewards are incredible.<br /><br />I had a wonderful time and fell in love with the people and the countryside in the great state of Tennessee. :)

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Tennessee...a great place to visit

Brings tears, The first commandment with promise. Honor your father and mother. That it may be well with you and you may live long on this earth. Ephesians 6.2,3.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ladyfish....I'm real happy for you and your Dad. Stay close to him wether by letter, phone or another visit. Lifes' to short not to. <br /><br />Beautiful post Ladyfish.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Ladyfish, I know where your coming from. I'm still blessed with both my parents still living and just about 1/4 mile down the road. Tomorrow I will honor my Mother on Mothers Day. Now the other side of the coin is my wife, it will be rough but I hope not as rough tomorrow as she lost her mom Jan. 2003. Last year she stayed cooped up in our bedroom looking at pictures of her mom and alot of crying. Anyway, on a better note we got the chance to go to S.C. a few years back and I could not agree with you more that Miss. is a beautiful state as well as Ala. in the Teledega Mountains. We also go to La. Quite a bit: Shreveport, Marksville, Kinder, L. Charles and Vinton. Got to pay them La. state taxes. ha ha. Got to go, just got paged to go repair another ice machine.

gonfishn

Commander

I second OBJ comments Ladyfish..We expect our parents to be here forever and tend to forget that we are here for only a short time..<br /><br />I was lucky to spend a week fishn with my father in Minnesota where we repaired alot of fences between us..He died of cancer six weeks later..Everytime I am up north I reflect back to that final week we got to spend together..Glad to have you Back LF or should I say LC..

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I am so happy for you Ladyfish. I am realizing too that those voids are no good and any mending of those broken down fences will make things better. So, thanks for the beautiful post. It spoke to my heart. Here's to more good times between you and your Dad.<br />Bassy

crab bait

Captain

i'm with ya on everythin'.. especially the great rest stops in mississippi.. an the people there seem like happy drones in a 'stepford community'.. <br /><br />if'n you'd a been doin' all that smilin' 'round here,, they'd diffinately put you in a 24 hr observation room for sure.. <br /><br />thanks for the share ,LADY.. i'm so glad you did the big road trip .. to see your dad.. especially by yourself an enjoyed yourself..

bubbakat

Captain

Glad you had a good sojourn with your father. <br />Lost both of mine back in 1959 and 1960.<br /><br />If I had of known you were coming so close to my county I would have planned a special surprise for you. :D :D <br /><br />I love running the trace. My wife and I travel it every time we go to corpus and houston.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Great news, LF!!<br /><br />As a Dad approaching 70 with three daughters, I can tell you that words are inadequate to express how I treasure my closeness with them, their brother and their children (and children's children).<br /><br />Visiting Dad and renewing bonds is the greatest thing you could have done for him. . . .or yourself. :)

tylerin

Commander

Happier ever after story L/F. Thanks for sharing. 12 years w/out communication w/ my dad, I couldn't beleive how smart he got in those 12 years ;) BTW Happy Mothers Day

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll see you at the station"<br /><br />Glad all went well with trip Ladyfish.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you Ladyfish. Unfortunately, many of us realise too late how much our parents meant to us.<br /><br />My Dad & I were close and had a good relationship, however we lost him suddenly at the age of 76...when that happens there are so many things you wish you had said or done, but it is too late. You will never regret taking time to be with them...and making sure that you tell them how much you love them.<br /><br />If you have a rift with your parents, go see them and mend your fences now...tomorrow may be too late.

SoulWinner

Commander

LadyFish,<br /><br />I know where you are coming from. I was about 33 or 34 when my parents and I started to develop any kind of relationship. My dad never really understood me (I headed for left field early in life and kept on a gonin') and my mom, well, I don't think either of them liked me at all. Nothing for them to like, ya know?<br /><br />Jump to now. We are close. I go fishin' with my dad, go to Praise and Worship services at Brownsville with mom. Today I will present my father with his old Ford lawn tractor, which I have totally restored for him. And I got my mom an amplified bible for mums day (she has wanted one for ever because the one she has is so tiny it is impossible to read). There is nothing I wouldn't do for them, and I give them honor. I am still kind of awed be having the parent child relationship with them that I always longed for. All my life I felt like I was just out here in the world alone with no parents, no one at all but myself. It was lonely. Sure, I have my wife and son, but I so terribly wanted parents too.<br /><br />So I congratulate you LadyFish! Good for you, and for your dad. I hope you both enjoy years of love and joy and kindness between you. Everything in the past is water under the bridge. I am very happy for both of you.

ehenry

Commander

Ladyfish, I'm sure you and your daddy will have a totally different relationship now. When your folks age their whole outlook on life tends to change and they want different things in life. But, I think that all they really want is, to know that their children are healthy, happy and that they are loved....AND as we as their children grow and age.....thats what we want for our parents.<br /><br />OH!!!! Thanks for the compliments on my home state. There are some really pretty places here, neat things to see and I think the folks are pretty sporty too. Bark at me next time you think you may be coming through I'd enjoy showing ya some of the neat places around where I live....might even take ya to one of my secret, super dyna whopper fishing spots ! ! !! I'm glad you had a safe trip. Welcome back and happy belated mothers day.