Temporarily patching holes beneath waterline?

Danny_Ocean

Seaman
I removed my fugly swim platforms today and plan on replacing next time boat is hauled with some custom-made units. The new units will be made to match the existing bolt holes. How can I temporarily patch the bolt holes so the boat is usable in the interim?<br /><br />My idea is: Stainless bolts/washers through the holes with neoprene washers under each end, all gooped-up with 5200...<br /><br />Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.<br /><br />D. Ocean<br />Pompano Beach, FLA

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Temporarily patching holes beneath waterline?

Originally posted by Danny Ocean:<br /><br />My idea is: Stainless bolts/washers through the holes with neoprene washers under each end, all gooped-up with 5200...
Sounds good to me...just make sure you have a good working bilge pump. :D

flashback

Captain

I would not use 5200, it will be too hard to remove when you install the new platform, instead use life caulk, or silicone...

jeremyp111

Seaman

DO NOT USE 5200! 5200 is near permanent. I would use 3m 101 Sealant as it is self healing, very flexible and you can remove it when the time comes. It's perfect for below the water line use.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

use 4200 if you know you are going to take it back apart. 5200 will come apart easy enough usually tho if need be, i do it on a daily basis at work.<br /><br />especially bolts thru a transom, just drive em back thru with a hammer. its not like your bedding a large flat surface piece of wood to gel or something.