Temperature gauge on Force 50?

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 Force 50 and I know it has an overheat buzzer but I was wondering if there is anywhere on these motors where I could screw in a temperature sending unit for an actual gauge instead? I don't trust buzzers, I would rather have a gauge I can keep an eye on to spot trouble early.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Temperature gauge on Force 50?

Teleflex makes two style temp gauges (probably others do too). One has the sender pressed against the head by a bracket that is held in place by a head bolt. The other is the more traditional sender that screws into an opening in the block. On my 1985 Force 85 hp, there was a metal plug in a hole on the top of the block that was removed and a fitting installed to put on a tell tale. That same location can have a temp sender installed.

So, check for a plug that you can remove (either slot for screwdriver or hex wrench) so you can decide which style you need. Also check the tell tale thread at the top of the forum for lots of pictures of people who used that port. Should help you decide.

Mark

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Temperature gauge on Force 50?

Thanks Mark42 for your response. I thought that standard slot head plug on top of motor might be in the water passage but I wasn't sure. Your response answers my question.