Temperature gauge not working

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
And, it hasn't for the last couple of seasons; I know, shame on me since it's important to know if the engine is frying.

The boat is a 90' Four Winns Freedom 195 with a 4.3 OMC (BTW: the outdrive has been good to me so far). I had a remanned long block put in it two seasons ago when I bought it. Perhaps, the guy who flipped the engines didn't tighten down the connection well enough. I think I've noticed it worked maybe once or twice over that time but now I've got to fix it. Looked at the aftermarket service manual (Chilton, I believe) on the engine and I can't seem to find where the temp gauge leads go to on the engine so I can test the gauge- -which I'm not all that sure about either. Can anyone give me a definite spot on the engine to find the temp sender unit? I believe it's got to be on the lower end of the block near the drain cocks but I don't remember seeing it last winter while draining the block for winter. Thanks in advance for any help out there.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Temperature gauge not working

It should have a tan wire connected to it & will be on the front of the enine near the t stat.......:)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should have a tan wire connected to it & will be on the front of the enine near the t stat.......:)

Thanks, I'll take a look under the hood tonight. I think I've seen it, sending unit with wires is on the the thermostat housing- -like some cars. At least I don't have to crawl into the engine compartment to get to that bad boy. Thanks again and happy boating.

I'm now wondering how to test the darn thing? I think the manual gives a procedure but I remember it being a little incomprehensible.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With the power on, ground the tan wire to the motor, the gage should peg out.

If not check for power to the gage.

If so change sending unit and check to make sure it is grounding.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the power on, ground the tan wire to the motor, the gage should peg out.

If not check for power to the gage.

If so change sending unit and check to make sure it is grounding.

Hey Don and WindyKid:

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try and hope the problem is at the engine. If it's the gauge itself I'll be without oars since 4 Winns had modular dashboards when that boat was created. I can always hook up a singular temp gauge on the dash if I had to I guess. Thanks again.