temp switch removal / OMC 90 HP

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,<br /><br />I want to check/zesz my overheating switches, While searching the board, I found an old reply by OBJ<br />like:<br />.., find the tan wire coming from the heat sensor on the head. It will be a tan colored wire. Pull the rubber cover back to expose the knife connector and take it apart....<br /><br />My engine 90 HP OMC 1991<br />Are these the 2 holes, each on the right side of a cylinder block between the cyl.s, one cable going in, looks like some rubber or foam is inside ?<br /><br />I cant see the color of cable of "foam", because some preowner has obviously used a black spray can to beautify the whole engine !!! :mad: <br />And I cant find a picture in my Seloc manual.<br /><br />Can I safely get these switches out ??? In an old topic there have been a heck of problems to get new ones ????<br /><br />Thank you all

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: temp switch removal / OMC 90 HP

Hey boats.....<br /><br />You'll have a temp sensor in each head. To get them out, you'll need to remove the head covers....thats that flat plate on the head held down with 13 or 14 bolts. The rubber plug holding the sensor in looks like foam but is rubber. You can get the sensors out but you'll have to clean the gasket surfaces and install new gaskets. Do you think there is a problem with yours?

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: temp switch removal / OMC 90 HP

Hey OBJ,<br /><br />oops, I hoped they where just sticked in in those holes :( <br /><br />I'm not sure if there's a problem. I had openend my control box to understand/clean/work/check on the electric stuff (ignition switch, dead man switch, gear switch, remember my post that I had voltage breakdowns ?). That was the 1. time I detected that horn (had never worked before). <br /><br />Since cleaning contacts etc. it's now sounding as soon as the key goes to run and stays that way. I searched the board and found a lot of entries about this problem (And the tem switches) and now try to follow those leads.<br /><br />With your help (thanks again for the connector picture) I can now follow the ground cable from the horn to the temp switch and check it with <br />a multimeter. <br /><br />Id I'm right, they must have a high resistance to ground if cold and close the horn circuit to ground if too hot ??? I thought it would be nice to check the switches with hot water to see at what temperature they close.<br /><br />Thanks again for the info on the switch.