Temp Sensor/Overheat Horn

vano6990

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1977 Evinrude 115 model #115793S <br />(owned 1yr in April)<br />WORKS GREAT! :D (now)<br />Can anyone help me with how to check your overheat horn? Do I just dissconnect the temp sensor from the motor and put it in really hot water and see if the horn blows? If it does not sound then what do I do? Where exactly is the temprature sensor? If it is what I think it is and mounted to the head cover on top of piston #2 it seems the wire was severed prior to my purchase was not connected to the temp gauge this entire time. :(

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Temp Sensor/Overheat Horn

Theres one on each head . You can test the horn , by grounding the wire that goes back to remote control. (tan wire).<br /> The way to check the the sensor is to hook a test light neg. on main body pos. on wire. Submerge it in cooking oil on stove , youll need a thermometer in the oil. The light should come on between 205-217 F. Light off when it cools to 168-182 F. I checked you may only have one sensor, on starboard side.The test light will need its own power source ie:battery, the sensor is then the switch. Easily made from a cheap flashlight.<br /> KYhunter

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Temp Sensor/Overheat Horn

I forgot, they dont hook to a temp. guage. All they are is a sensor to horn. They warn you , though probably too late. That your running hot. I would install a water pressure guage, and temp. guage. Thats what I do, much better then , depending on the horn. IMHO. If you ground the tan wires leading to control box . And the horn does not sound, its either the wiring to horn or the horn itself.<br /> KYHunter