Temp sender

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know how to test a temp sender.I put on a new one with a new gauge and i get no reading it stays buried below a 100. I checked power to the gauge have 12v i have a good ground and have the sender wire in the wright spot. I tried to ohm out the sender and i got .009 i don't know if that is wright or not for the life of me i can't figure out why it won't work any help would be great thanks.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Temp sender

You say you put on a new one, was there an old one you were replacing?

If there was an old one and it didn't work, and you replaced it and it doesn't work either, then I would suggest checking the wiring.

It also helps to clarify what you are working on, what type of gauge you are using, how you wired it, etc.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There was an old sender and it read on the high side like 250 i know it wasn't wright because the water coming out was just warm to the touch. I replaced it with a new one and now it's on the cold side. The gauge is just a regular temp gauge 3 wires ground, 12v, and sender. I wired the the gauge the way it was wired from the old one it feeds off the other gauges for ground and power. I know it has 12v because if i disconnect the 12v wire the other gauges go dead and i also tested using a test light.

joey nathan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How old is the stuff you're working on? Copper degrades over time and the resistance in ohms increases causing all sorts of problems. Oxidation of the copper is more rapid in a wet environment like around water.

You might try running a new wire from the transducer on the engine all the way up to the gauge and see if that doesn't make a difference.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tha'ts exactly what i was going to try next thanks.