TEMP GUAGE

STEVEGOLD

Cadet
I HAVE A 1989 SEARAY SUNDANCER WITH TWIN 4.3 205HP. ALL GUAGES ON DASH WORK EXCEPT BOTH TEMP GUAGES. I REPLACED THE SENSORS AND GUAGES. ENGINE TEMPS ARE BOTH APPROX 147 DEGREES. BOAT RUNS GREAT. ANY IDEAS ABOUT THE GUAGES?

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: TEMP GUAGE

What are the gauges doing. Are they dead, pegged high, or just inaccurate?

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No voltage passing thru sensor, which is simple variable resistor, which changes resistance as the temp changes, and the meter, which is a current measuring device, you have lost the voltage on the panel, which likely comes from the keyswitch. Take a multimeter and find out where the voltage originates from and likely you will find where problem lies.

Realgun

Commander

Welcome to iboats Sausealady. Please please in the future stop SHOUTING. WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CPAS IT IS SHOUTING ON THE FORUM.

Realgun

Commander

As stated earlier a temp guage measures the resistance due to a temperature rise. If they do not work and the sensors are reading then you will need to find the loose wire or short in the system. A Voltmeter will be needed and they are less than 15 dollars.

STEVEGOLD

Cadet

# 29763:<br /><br /> Thanks for the heads-up on SHOUTING. <br /> All replies to the guages are helpfull <br /> and will be used to correct the problem.

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's a good way to isolate your problem. With a multimeter, verify you have battery voltage between the I(12v) and G(ground) terminals on the gauge, even a cheap test light can accomplish this.<br /><br />If you don't have voltage there, simply rewire the I and G to another gauge that is functioning.<br /><br />If you do have voltage there, remove the sender wire from the gauge. Then short the S(sender) terminal on the gauge to the G terminal on the gauge. The gauge should peg all the way to the right. If the gauge does this, it is good to go. If not, it's the gauge.<br /><br />If it does, the problem is with the sender or the wire from the sender to the gauge. A guage completely pegged to the left is a symptom of an "open sender" (the gauge doesn't see the sender).<br /><br />Also verify there is no teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads of the sender. The body of the sender requires a ground from the engine. If there is pipe sealer on the threads there is no path from ground for the current to travel through the sender to the gauge.<br /><br />Good luck.