Temp Guage not working

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so I can ground out the sending unit and it pegs the temp guage to HOT... but when engine running and warm dosent register anything...<br /><br />I have replaced the sending unit and same results... <br /><br />guage seems to be working... <br /><br />engine is mercruiser 470 in a 88' four winns<br /><br />any ideas? :confused: <br /><br />thanks <br />kid

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Temp Guage not working

You have three possibilities: 1. the sending unit is bad (not likely given you replaced it) 2. the gauge is bad 3. the connection between gauge and sending unit is broken/shorted. I would bet number three. Try running a wire straight from the sending unit to the gauge and warm up your engine.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

don it was none of the three :) <br /><br />i had a bad t-stat.. was wide open, not allowing the engine to warm...whoohooo... <br /><br />so 1st problem fixed...<br /><br />2nd problem... now that its regestering the tem... i am only getting to about 125-130 deg... seems a bit low?<br /><br />any thoughts?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Are you getting your reading on the muffs or actually boating? ...could just be the gauge. To check you can get a special wax stick from an auto supply house like NAPA that melts at your running temp( Temp rating on your thermostat. My engine is 160 degrees.) Touch the bottom of the thermostat housing and see if it melts. <br /><br />At the opposite end of the scale, if your engine seems to be running hot, use a 190 degree wax stick and see if it melts...if it does, something is wrong (impeller or water flow blockage somewhere, etc.)

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cobra<br /><br />I am at 130 on muffs... I will test in the lake in a week or two - see what results I get then<br /><br />thanks for the help!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Try putting back your old sending unit also.