temp gauge problem

vprgtsr001

Cadet
I recently bought a 97' rush xr2. The boat runs great, i absolutely love it. I noticed when i first took it out, i had it running for a good 2 hours solid and close to WOT in about 50-55 degree water and the temp gauge stayed bottomed out at 60. I dont know where the sensor is on the motor but is that normal? The gauges range is 60-220. Even with that temperature water i would imagine the running temp being over 60 degrees. The motor is only slightly warm to the touch on the few places i can touch the cylinder walls and heads even after running that long. When i turn the key from off to run i see the needle move a little, like its getting power, but i dont know. Any help would be appreciated.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: temp gauge problem

Sounds like a thermostat problem. The temperature sender is normally located in the thermostat housing, or very close to it (Look for a large diameter rubber hose attached to a domed casting on the top front of the engine) Thermstats are not super expensive and not usually very difficult to replace. Running the engine at such a cold temperature is not good. Besides using a lot more fuel, the oil is not getting thin enough to lubricate properly. Good luck
Kev.