Telltale stream and exhaust water flow amounts on Yamaha 2000 200hp Saltwater series 2 stroke

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
This is my 1st Yamaha motor.I have had Evinrudes my entire life.Grady White didn't find it necessary to have a temp gage or water pressure gage and I dont really like not having a visual warning gage.When I got the new to me boat with Yamaha ,the telltale was a medium flow of cool water and barely a drip from exhaust ports.I did a water pump service and Tstat change and telltale was same medium flow and slightly more of a spit of water from exhaust ports.My older evinrude had a pretty constant spitting of exhaust water and the newer Evinrude had a telltale that could knock you over or angle it and it would nail someone 20 ft away ( I loved being able to adjust where the telltale went).I noticed on some Yamahas slightly older and larger than mine, a cycling of spitting exhaust water at a pretty consistant rate and cycle time.I am not exactly certain what mine should be doing.As I stated ,I have a medium stream of cool Telltale water and barely anything from exhaust ports.Engine seems to be running at proper temp and not running too warm or hot.Everyone with Yamahas tells me "dont worry, you have an alarm" but I relate an alarm to an idiot light on a car.Its usually too late when it alerts you.Anyone know what my motor should be doing ,just to put my mind at ease till I get a gage installed.Charlie

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My little C40TLRX does not have any water coming out of the idle relief ports.
I too worried about it, but I have not had any problems with overheat since I bought this thing back in 2008.

did you replace the whole water pump?
housing, cup, plate, etc and all or just the impeller?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
You describe how my Yamaha F150 water discharge flows. My old 2 stroke 175 had more water pressure than my 150. After I installed a water pressure gauge it didn't read at all. I was told by a Yamaha Tech the reason was because the motor ran with high water volume/ low water pressure. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
My little C40TLRX does not have any water coming out of the idle relief ports.
I too worried about it, but I have not had any problems with overheat since I bought this thing back in 2008.

did you replace the whole water pump?
housing, cup, plate, etc and all or just the impeller?
ALWAYS do a water pump service with a complete kit.NEVER do impeller only. Then labor is the same either way. Cheaping out on parts of that nature could lead to catastrophe.Charlie