Tell tale weak?

Leopoldo

Seaman
If a somewhat pee line seems weak, is it necessarily a problem? Isn't the tell tale a visual aid only and the spent warm water coming out the (2) holes below the cowling on a 87 70HP Johnson the actually discharge?........L

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tell tale weak?

Leo....That is correct, on that motor the tell-tale is just that, a visual aid, for the water pump. If you have a weak tell-tale then you most likely have a weak water pump, unless something is stuck in the hose which happens from time to time. Try taking the hose that runs to the tell-tale off and blowing it out, if you still get a weak stream, you probably need a new water pump. The 2 holes below the cowling are the exhaust pressure relief holes, when you are sitting in the water and there is backpressure on the exhaust at the prop it comes out of these holes.

Leopoldo

Seaman
Re: Tell tale weak?

Originally posted by mmcpeck:<br /> Leo....That is correct, on that motor the tell-tale is just that, a visual aid, for the water pump. If you have a weak tell-tale then you most likely have a weak water pump, unless something is stuck in the hose which happens from time to time. Try taking the hose that runs to the tell-tale off and blowing it out, if you still get a weak stream, you probably need a new water pump. The 2 holes below the cowling are the exhaust pressure relief holes, when you are sitting in the water and there is backpressure on the exhaust at the prop it comes out of these holes.
Thank you Peck! I better check into this. The boat and motor was last registered in 2000 from the previous owners, so I suspect it has been 4 years since. The heat sensor alarm has been disconnected from the controls so I guess it is time to pull off the lower end and take a looks see. Thanks again..........L