tell-tale vs. pee hole

camfrogg

Cadet
Posted this in another thread but it didn't seem to get any attention there ---<br /><br />OK I want to clear something up for myself... My motor is a '78 Chrysler 75hp. I've always thought that if the water pump is working correctly, water should flow/spray from the two exhaust/vent? holes on the back of the motor, just below the engine cover. I've always thought that these were the so-called "tell-tale" holes. However, I also have what I refer to as the "pee hole" just below the anti-ventilation plate, on the starboard side of the lower unit. I always thought that this lower hole was just to drain leftover water. 1.) I think I need to have this terminology cleared up for me, because it seems that some posters on this board have used the two terms interchangeably...<br /><br />That being said, here's another issue. I've got my engine running on the muffs and it runs just fine. However after running it for about 30-45 seconds at a time I freaked out and shut it down because I could not see any water being emitted from the upper holes. (After shutting it down, a few drops could be seen, but not at all what I would expect as a good amount of coolant.) At the same time, the lower hole had plenty of engine-heated water running from it. Because of this I assume that my pump is working fine, but it's still due for an impeller replacement so I'm doing that anyway. So, I guess what I'm looking for here is: 2.) what should I be looking for in the future to determine that the pump is working correctly? Thanks for the help, y'all.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tell-tale vs. pee hole

A tell tale is a water outlet near the powerhead, in back. It emits a steady stream as a teller of tales about water pumping.<br /><br />Some engines don't have a tell tale, and simply exhaust water along with engine exhaust.<br /><br />Pee hole is a name used by folks who don't know the correct term for the Tell Tale.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

As JB said, pee hole/tell tele/ water flow indicator/ pisser all the same thing.<br /><br />Your motor does not have one.<br /><br />The two holes at the back of the mid section are exhaust pressure relief holes. Some water may spritz out of here, but not much.<br /><br />The small weep holes near the anti-ventilation plate are just drain holes, to ensure that all water drains from the midsection. So some water will come out here also.<br /><br />The bulk of the cooling water will exit with the exhaust.<br /><br />The best indicator of adequate water flow, would be a water pressure guage. You can install it yourself. The kit runs about $55.<br /><br />Another option would be to tap into a water line off the block, and hook up a hose with a 1/8" fitting on the end. Secure it to the side of the motor and bango!! you've created your own telltale.

camfrogg

Cadet

Excellent. That answers my question perfectly. I bet that a lot of people on this board are confused (and don't know it) about this whole issue so maybe this will help to clear it up.<br /><br />Thanks!