tell tale sign that a part is on its way out

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi again,<br /><br />I finally got my engine going well thanks to researching and reading these forums.<br /><br />I have to ask though, how does a person know a part is on its last legs. I'm more interested in the engine parts than the gear case parts 'cause I don't think I can service the gear case myself.<br /><br />For example, if the stator is about to go and I'm out on the lake, will it start missing or something? I think the stator windings just breaks, stranding me out on the water. How about timer base or flywheel (I'm an Evinrude guy @ the moment).<br /><br />Just trying to be more prepared for the worst. Thanks again guys.

D

DJ

Re: tell tale sign that a part is on its way out

ZJ,<br /><br />Simple answer-you don't know.<br /><br />If the engine runs well and is quiet. There is nothing you can predict.

steepbank

Recruit

My recent experience on a bad starter (I bought a used boat and missed the tell tale signs). IT SHOULDN'T JUST HAPPEN UNLESS A WIRE COMES LOOSE; THE SELENOID DIES, OR A FUSE BLOWS<br /><br />You go to start the boat and the starter barely turns over (and people will tell you that it is because it has 6 cylinders to turn; or, this is normal, etc.). The next statement is "the battery isn't charging." In my case it was the starter motor ($250.00 Canadian).<br /><br />Than there was the tilt & trim motor: I had to toglle the switch a few times to get it to work but it would work - checked the fluid level and it was low. Than this Spring nothing but a stutter at the selenoid - End result - The motor was frozen; new one arrives on Monday.<br /><br />I am ressuracting my mechanical skills thoug and this fourum is a bib help.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had my boat 3 years and the starter was always funky. It turned slower than normal but sounded fast enough though it had a hard time starting the motor, had to always use those little jumper units which worked great. Then I decided to just spend the money and bought a new after market one made by MES from seilermarine.com. Now the engine starts instantly. I guess starter motors are easy to spot given that OMC's manual states at least 300 rpm to check for sparks, that's 5 rotations a second hhhmmmmm....

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Get used to how your motor performs and sounds during normal use. A tachometer is also a very useful device. If your motor suddenly acts or sounds differently, you may have a problem developing. If you can't get the RPM you usually do--ditto. Unfortunately there's no sure way to predict sudden breakdowns. Just be sure you have a plan in case you have one. Kicker motor, radio, cell phone, whatever.