tell tale on 75-75 Evinrude 115

roj

Cadet
Long story but my motor is recently rebuilt with new water pump (and everything else). I ran it briefly in a lake last year and in a bucket and with rabbit ears. Didn't see any water out of two rear holes that connect to the top of the power head. Didn't run for long as I didn't want to torch anything. 1) how long until water shows? 2. Am I looking at the right place? The motor is supposedly parts from 75-76. I'm clueless. Thanks. BTW- nice site!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: tell tale on 75-75 Evinrude 115

Hi roj and thanks for posting,<br /><br />Most of the water that is run through the power head will exit through the prop. The two holes you mentioned will show little or no exit water until the thermostat opens. The water leaving here will just be a "spit" or what looks like a thin spray. At idle and depending on water temp, it may take several minutes before the t-stat opens. At idle temp., about 140-145 degrees, you should be able to lay your fingers on the flat place at the top of the motor just behind the head for several seconds before removing them. If the engine is overheating, it will be readily apparent. Good Luck!