Tell me about Mariner outboards

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
What are their strengths and weaknesses?? How repairable are they?? I like to work on outboards but admit to knowing absolutely nothing about Mariners.I think that someone told me once that they were old Yamaha technology. Is that true ??

Anyways, I have a line on one that has low compression in #1 cyl (80 lbs) and no spark. How available are the ignition parts and how expensive?? I'm assuming the low cylinder will probably need a piston.Thanks.

thespazticator

Recruit
Re: Tell me about Mariner outboards

As far as i know, mariner = mercury.
If you go to http://www.mercurymarine.com.au and check the specs of mercury outboards vs. the specs of mariner outboards, they're the same.

The only difference is that one is grey and the other is black.

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

It is a Merc at a better price.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yamaha were making the older models it's now fully owned by mercury either way you've got one of the most reliable outbords out there in my opinion. They have always been very popular with fisherman for this reason I've got a 1979 that was brought out by yamaha, when I bought it it was looking a bit rundown, had been sitting out in the front yard for the last twelve months wasting away. The owner didn't think it started, hooked it up to a tank with fresh fuel in it started first go, checked the compression, still had 125 psi on each cylinder I was impressed. Thats why a yammie would be my second choice.

bondt1

Recruit

If you've got an "autoblend" oil injection system (up to about 1986). You want to remove it because modern fuels eat the diaphragm away, and pretty soon your gas has no oil, without you knowing it.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yamaha were making the older models it's now fully owned by mercury either way you've got one of the most reliable outbords out there in my opinion. They have always been very popular with fisherman for this reason I've got a 1979 that was brought out by yamaha, when I bought it it was looking a bit rundown, had been sitting out in the front yard for the last twelve months wasting away. The owner didn't think it started, hooked it up to a tank with fresh fuel in it started first go, checked the compression, still had 125 psi on each cylinder I was impressed. Thats why a yammie would be my second choice.

Depends on which Mariner model. For instance, a 1980 I6 Mariner 115 IS a 1980 Merc. 115 with grey paint and Mariner decals on it. In most instances, that's what a Mariner is: A Mercury with grey paint and different decals.

TG

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depends on which Mariner model. For instance, a 1980 I6 Mariner 115 IS a 1980 Merc. 115 with grey paint and Mariner decals on it. In most instances, that's what a Mariner is: A Mercury with grey paint and different decals.

TG
Yeah definately I agree, I should have said Yamaha were making some of the older models, my mistake. You can tell by the first three numbers in the serial no
which is part of the cast NO. for e.g serial no. starting with 689 is a yammie, plus the decals are different.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you've got an "autoblend" oil injection system (up to about 1986). You want to remove it because modern fuels eat the diaphragm away, and pretty soon your gas has no oil, without you knowing it.

Yep For sure it'll end up giving you grief somewhere along the way.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a Merc at a better price.

Very well said, to this day, you can buy Mariners in all sizes (including Mariner Optimax) all over Asia and the South Pacific. True, they are a bit cheaper than their black-painted cousins.

claytonr1973

Recruit

I have an 88' 90hp mariner. Would this have the "autoblend". I bought this boat mostly because of the oil injected Mariner,but have been told it's unreliable.

j_martin

Admiral

I have an 88' 90hp mariner. Would this have the "autoblend". I bought this boat mostly because of the oil injected Mariner,but have been told it's unreliable.

It's a lot more reliable than the kid (ya right) remembering to properly mix the fuel.

At extreme RPMS (over 6500), or if you drastically overheat your engine, it may take out the nylon gear on the crankshaft.

I use it on an XR4 at up to 6500 rpms. I took the advice of an old timer and mix a little oil (about 125 - 150:1) with the fuel, for insurance.

hope it helps
John

coy_av8tor

Recruit

Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of a 1990 Ebbtide Dynatrack 180ss fish and ski with a Mariner 150 Magnum II. Anyone familiar with this motor? If so I would love to hear some feedback regarding reliability, RPM, speeds, etc.

Thanks