Telescoping emergency paddle

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need two emergency paddles for my new build jon boat. Boat is 12 feet long and 20" high. Sitting on the bench seat I figure 48" long paddles will work. Paddles are for emergency in case my new Tohatsu 6HP outboard won't start, though paddles will come in handy at the dock.

Being a 12 foot flat bottom jon boat on the ocean, I plan to stay within 300 yards from shore so will not be paddling from 2 miles out ;).

From searching customer reviews, it seems that telescoping paddles have a tendency to break if the lower hand is not close to the paddle's blade.

Anyone use a telescoping paddle that can extend to 48" or more that won't break if the lower hand is midway on the shaft and not close to the paddle's blade?

Thanks.

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
I think it depends on use as to what's going to really happen.

For example...back when my parents bought the MFG in my signature, which is a very light 15' closed bow boat, we were gifted (2) orange/blue/white plastic extendable oars. Yeah they were 80's hideous but they worked fine on that boat.

I kept them for use on the Bayliner on my signature and they did OK. Under extreme paddling, yeah they'd start to wilt a bit.

I still had them with the FourWinns and that boat being a heavy son of a gun caused them to wilt big time. I replaced them with solid wood oars and carry those wooden oars on my Chap.

So it all depends on loads and expectations. I would think that maybe in certain circumstances that the reviews you were reading were due to the owner not understanding what exactly they needed in an emergency paddle.

Given your setup, you may very well be ok with a collapsible paddle.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Dont waste your time with paddles, go with oars instead!! Using a paddle in a jon boat wont be easy, oars much easier... I made hangers to hold my oars along the inside of my jon boat, out of the way, but ready if needed. Paddle once and you wont want to do it again, rowing is much easier.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ Gotta' agree: winds, waves and 300 yards makes for a looooong day. Oarlocks and a set of nice oars will be MUCH easier.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most jon boats come with oar locks, just need a pair of oars and your good....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Trolling motors are great if you need them for quiet moving around, but...My understanding is the original poster was just looking for emergency power. With an outboard plus a battery plus a trolling motor is alot for a 12' jon boat. Here in Ohio, your small watercraft is required a backup means of propulsion such as a paddle or oars if it has a motor. My boat is big enough to carry everything from main engine, aux motor and a trolling motor with 3 group 31 batteries, not gonna be the case in a 12' jon boat !!!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Trolling motors are great if you need them for quiet moving around, but...My understanding is the original poster was just looking for emergency power. With an outboard plus a battery plus a trolling motor is alot for a 12' jon boat. Here in Ohio, your small watercraft is required a backup means of propulsion such as a paddle or oars if it has a motor. My boat is big enough to carry everything from main engine, aux motor and a trolling motor with 3 group 31 batteries, not gonna be the case in a 12' jon boat !!!

I have run a trolling motor on a 14' jon on th Mississippi for 6 plus hours battery was not dad.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Trolling motor, 12v battery, oars & oar locks, bilge pump, life jack (on) & flares.
I'd be concerned about taking on water. :eek:

briangcc

Commander

Guys and gals...it's a 12' wooden boat....not an aluminum one with built in oar locks. Let's keep the eye on the prize here as a collapsible paddle will probably be the right fit for this.

Anything beyond is overkill and just adding weight where it doesn't need to be.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Guys and gals...it's a 12' wooden boat....not an aluminum one with built in oar locks. Let's keep the eye on the prize here as a collapsible paddle will probably be the right fit for this.

Anything beyond is overkill and just adding weight where it doesn't need to be.
Still gonna be tough to oaddle if an emergency crops up. A pair of oarlocks weigh very little and will add to his ability to control and maintain headway, which either would be difficult with a fold up paddle!! I tried a foldup paddle in my 12' alum jon boat....not an easy task !!

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all of your input folks.
I bought two 4 feet telescoping paddles from West Marine and will try paddling to shore along with a 2nd person on the boat. Will always have a 2nd person and won't be going out alone. Hoping to launch my new boat either tomorrow (if my son can take time off work) or when ever he can get off. Want to do the initial launch on a week day to avoid weekend crowds. Paddling will be part of the launching test.

airshot

Rear Admiral
While your plan is to always have two persons, ...plans often change thru no fault of ours...so..I would also try paddling alone and see where you get, better to be safe than sorry.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While your plan is to always have two persons, ...plans often change thru no fault of ours...so..I would also try paddling alone and see where you get, better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks, I will do that.