Teleflex Trim Gauge

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a new teleflex trim gauge for my 1986 Evin 150-V6. It is specific to Evinrude/Johnson.<br />When i hooked it up, the needle doesnt indicate the proper range. It starts out below the "down" and as i raise the trim up it doesnt make it to the "up" line. Anyway to adjust the positioning of the needle?

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Teleflex Trim Gauge

Why does the Trim Gauge not work on my engine? <br /><br />Trim gauges are made for specific trim sender resistances. The senders are only made and sold by the engine manufacturer dealers. In many cases the sender has failed but the gauge is the first place the fault is seen. The sender can be checked for the proper resistance if incorrect responses are seen on the gauge. The trim gauge must also be matched to the sender for a correct response. <br /><br />Force ('95 and on), Mariner, Mercury, Mercruiser, OMC Cobra (gray):<br /><br />10 ohm Down, 167 ohm Up <br /><br />OMC Stern Drives (white) and Sea Drive: <br /><br />10 ohm Down, 88 ohm Up <br /><br />Johnson/Evinrude Outboard: <br /><br />88 ohm Down 1 ohm Up <br /><br />Suzuki 4-stroke Outboards (2002)<br /><br />88 ohm Down 2.5 ohm Up<br /><br />Yamaha Outboard: <br />Pre 2001 - 110 ohm Down, 410 ohm Up<br />2001 ("z" in engine number) - 10 ohm Down, 167 ohm Up<br /><br />OMC/Volvo combination stern drive, DP, SX: <br /><br />10 ohm Down 167 ohm Up <br /> <br /><br />NOTE: Honda Outboards & Suzuki 2-stroke Outboards <br />do not use a resistive type sender. <br /><br />Teleflex does not offer trim gauges for Force, (pre-'95), Nissan or Tohatsu engines. <br /><br />The trim gauge can be tested in the same manner as the fuel gauge. Turn the ignition on. Remove the sender wire from back of gauge. Pointer must go above UP (below DOWN for 88-1 ohm gauge). Next, connect the gauge sender terminal to ground. The pointer must go below DOWN (above UP for 88-1 ohm gauge). If the pointer moves to both UP and DOWN the gauge is functional.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Maybe I'm old fashoned - to me the easiest way to check a trim guage is to look at the motor. I have em & to me they are useless.

Ralph 123

Captain

I can't see my outdrives underway.... I always have a sense of where they are based on the boat's performance but that doen't help at low speeds...

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, thats always the surefire way, is to look back at the motor... But it would be nice to have an accurate gauge for when your in big waves and dont really feel like lookin back.