Teleflex Rack Steering - Can I grease it?

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I posted before, however I have taken a good look under the helm and see its a rack steering system that it tight. The connections at the outboard are fine, I had a mechanic clean the tube, grease the cable....

In a follow up over the phone with him, he said these type of steering systems are tight becuase they are non feedback.

Anyway, I think its too tight, I am wondering if I can lubricate the rack mechanicals under the helm? There looks like 4 bolts holding gearcase toghether where the shaft from the steering wheel connects to the rack.

What do you think? Any advice, recommendations? I am hoping to make it out the rest of the season without taking it in for a new cable/helm unit.

Thanks

MS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Teleflex Rack Steering - Can I grease it?

disconnect the steering link at the motor, and check by turning the wheel, if still stiff, you can try greasing, but most likely the cable is going.

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK,

The motor end is cool, how about greasing the rack and that end of the cable, can I save it, make it last?

I can turn the wheel from one side to the other with even consistancy and pressure, but it really takes two hands and when I turn the wheel, there is some push/pull on the rack below the dash when I turn it.

I am just wondering if I can take out the 4 bolts, grease the cable/gears/rack and make it the rest of the year before I change it out.

Thanks.........Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all you can do is try it. it may work, or the cable could be going. which cannot be greased.