Teleflex rack and pinion problem

hotwheels44

Recruit
I have teleflex rack and pinion on 16.5 monark with a 1.6l omc sea drive. I can turn the motor all the way to the right but only 1/4 to left. is there any adjustment because I cant find any, also I un-hooked the cable and the motor turns freely in both directions. Is it time to replace the rack and pinion system? I don't know how long its been on the boat either. <br /><br />Thanks for the help

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teleflex rack and pinion problem

With the cable unhooked from the motor, how many turns lock to lock?

D

DJ

I don't recall. Does a Seadrive use a link between the cable end and the tiller?<br /><br />If so, I'll bet you have the wrong link-too short.

tad7777

Seaman Apprentice

hi i think someone changed it or added this steering system to your boat maybe the univeral replacement cant be use, with your linkage to your motor,,i replaced my steering system using teleflex rack & pinion,,was happy with the easy coulum adapter,it connected right up to what i had ,my linkage,,, sounds like it is a improper connection at your linkage to your motor . tad

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Um, OK. Its the same amount of turns lock to lock attached or not. How many would that be?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

disconnect motor from cable. center the wheel with same number of turns to each lock. center motor. adjust link between cable end and motor so it goes on without moving either. if your link won't allow this you need a link that will.

hotwheels44

Recruit

I'll try that this evening. Im getting about 2 to 21/2 turns lock to lock when disconnected.