technical drive question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alpha gen I, (later MR I think). after changing a gear and clutch dog i was putting the drive back together, i got up to where you install the bearing carrier, which i did and then installed the retainer nut etc... What i have a question on is how far i should be able to pull the prop shaft in and out. i know there is usually some play but i couldn't find in the book how much would be normal. i measured it with a dial indicator and it measured between .040"-.045". That seems to me like a lot but i couldn't find in the book what would even change that measurement other than the bearing carrier not being installed all the way but it seems like it is all the way in, i torqued it down to 210'lbs. any idea if this is a normal amount of play?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: technical drive question

yeah its something like 1/16th of an inch.... thats normal
but....
you change a gear, as in 1? and the clutch dog?
I hoped you changed all three down there.... as they are a matched set.
and i hope you got new bearings, shim gauge, dial torque wrench etc etc.....
or else its not gonna last long....

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

i didn't know they were a match set since i'm able to buy just the fwd gear from sierra. i just counted the gear teeth to make sure they were they same as the old one. As far as the shimming i'm going to check fwd and reverse gear backlash, but pinion hieght shims were untouched.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On Mercruiser standard rotation outdrives, the fwd and pinion gear are a matched set. The reverse gear can be purchaces seperately.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

that sucks, guess i'll have to get a set then