Teaching my 4 yr old to cast

NathanY

Commander
My daughter loves to go fishing with me, so I decided it was time for her to learn to cast on her own. I bought a Johnson Citation rod and reel combo on sale at Wally World for 9 bucks. We were out in the front yard throwing a bell sinker, and it took her about a half hour, but now she can consistantly throw that thing about 30 ft. I even put a bobber on it for her to see if I could throw her off, but it didnt phase her. She is so excited at her accomplishment, and so am I. She is my best friend and fishing buddy. ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Teaching my 4 yr old to cast

cool beans Nathan!! Make it fun for her ... err I mean put her on fish ... ahhh ...I mean ..<br /><br />THAT'S AWESOME!!! love kids and fishing - even tho I don't have any my sisters kids have all caught their first fish with "uncle TJ" guess I'm a bit proud too.<br /><br />best regards!<br /><br /> oh .. and don't forget your patience at home :p :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are in for one of the greatest thrills a Dad can experience, Nathan.<br /><br />Put her on fish and on tape. Get some digital photos, too.<br /><br />Among my greatest treasures are pics of kids and grandkids with first fish, first big fish and biggest fish. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Keep up the good work Nathan. Thats how I started, and look at me today. :D ;) :p <br /><br />Just to be safe, put her split shots on for her until she can use a pair of pliers. :rolleyes:

Link

Rear Admiral

Cool Nathan<br />Glad to see someone doing it right. Next thing you know there will be a holahoop (sp) in the back yard to aim at :)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My daughter is 15 months, I can't wait. She already loves being on the boat which is great, just can't quite trust her with anything sharp and pointy yet! :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Nathan, Maybe you can help me. I have a friend who is 33 years old. He is my only fishing partner, but he can't cast....I have tried to show him how to cast with a spinning reel, as that's all I fish with, and he can't cast further than the gunwale. Can you come spend some time teaching him? He's not stupid, we both have genius IQ's, he is just uncoordinated to the point that walking while thinking about something other than putting one foot in front of the other is perilous.<br /><br />BTW, congratulations!!! I wish my son would fish mith me.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know the feeling SoulWinner. One of my friends I take fishing, while he can cast, is quite bad at everything else. He has no concept of keeping a tight line so if it fish does strike (we're talking panfish here) he can set the hook. <br />He just jerks at loose line, sometimes doing it 2-3 times, it's quite entertaining for me. I try to tell him how to do it without sounding too preachy, but he never learns. <br />So Nathan, could you have your daughter give my friend a few tips? :p