Teacher fired, others resign

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Certainly the teacher shouldnt have been let go because of this minor incident.<br /><br />Perhaps there is more going on that we know?<br /><br />Ken

Twidget

Commander
Teacher fired, others resign

Having a wife that is a teacher this really hits home. Finding a teacher that really cares about kids is hard. It seems most she works with only took the job for the summers off.<br /><br />At any rate, here is the Link

Twidget

Commander
Re: Teacher fired, others resign

Hopefully there is. I am inclined to doubt it though, since the others resigned in protest. People usually dont stand so firmly behind a troublemaker.<br /><br />After my Dad retired from the Air Force, he taught school for a few years in a rural school district. There were people there that thought they were kings of their little feifdom. He eventually bought out his contract and retired from that too.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Something doesn't jive here. If she was truly concerned about safety, she could have simply supervised the child, rather than helped her. By helping her, the teacher is challenging the punishment, and thus challenging the principle's authority. Both parents agreed to the punishment, why did the teacher feel the need to get involved?<br /><br />This wasn't about safety. It was about the teacher not agreeing with the punishment, and now the safety issue is just a convenient excuse.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I understand the principal not wanting this teacher working for him, but he went beyond that and "blackballed" her: "Doerhoff also refused to sign the certification renewal that Price needs to get another teaching job...."<br /><br />A principal is an administrator, and this sounds to me like an administrative blunder. Might've been right, but I bet it wasn't the only right thing he could've done. This kind of upheaval can't be worth whatever benefits were gained from his decisions.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

wilkin205r, If you read the article, it says that the parent was not given a whole lot of choices, either pick rock or suspension. And when a child gets a suspension notice on his/her school record it is like a criminal records which follows the child until the child finishes high school. Like you said, "something doesn't jive here" I am sure there are many more factors that was not reported and we would never know all of it but IMHO the principal made a wrong move and like twidget said he is in his own kingdom there as the principal and area school superintendant.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, but they agreed to it anyways, regardless of the number of choices they had. What you would call a lack of options, I would describe as lucky to have options at all. It's not common for administrators to give alternatives for suspension.<br /><br />There are a few things evident in this story, as I see it. I would say the teacher made the first stupid move by undermining the principle. She did not have to help the student to ensure her safety, but she DID help. That tells me the primary motive wasn't safety, and now the safety issue is just a convenient excuse, a smokescreen and ruse to recruit sympathizers. As a disobedient employee undermining the authority of her superiors because she doesn't agree with the punishment, nobody with sympathize with her. But as an adult concerned for a child's safety, how can she possibly lose? Her primary motive wasn't safety, but she'd like you to THINK it was.<br /><br />Did the principle overreact? Possibly, in fact very likely. His motive for not signing the certification renewal suggests he has an ego that does not take kindly to bruising.

Joenational

Cadet

Actually I completely disagree with the punishment. Why was she given a physcial punsihment, in that case why didn't the principal ask the girl to paint the walls of the hallways. If what she did wrong was not doing her school work then you punish her to prove that what she did is going to hurt her in the long run. Give her a special assignment ie: reports, extra H/W etc... You dont punish the girl by giving her manual labor that is in no way an academic punishment. What the teacher did was wrong in the sense of it was challenging the principal but she was not wrong morally. The fact that the principal will not let work in another school shows that the principal is a real pr!ck. The teacher had great evaulations so becasue of this one thing you are going to fire her and not let her continue her career somewhere else. That just isn't right.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Agree with wilkin that the "security" issue is just spin. But nevertheless, consider:<br /><br />A fourth-grader "refusing to do her schoolwork." :) Giving her a little time to think about that choice while picking up rocks don't sound so bad. I don't think the parents were coerced - at least not if suspension would've been the proper course of action which it might well have been. So we don't know if the punishment fits the crime, but let's just assume it does so we can consider the next problem. <br /><br />Was she assigned some duration of time to spend on "rock detail?" If so, a teacher accompanying her and also picking up rocks isn't really "helping" her with the task, could be more like counseling, helping her with the attitude adjustment, and modeling a good work ethic(assuming the teacher ain't bad-mouthing the boss). In that case "insubordination" might be too strong a label to put on it, and the boss is not just a p**** but I'd say a Major League P****.<br /><br />But if she was assigned an area to clear, or a quantity to collect, then the teacher was not only insubordinate but also enabling the student who already has issues with fulfilling responsibilities. Let's assume that's the case so we can move on to the next problem.<br /><br />Is this one act of insubordination, or a trouble-maker? If she's a trouble-maker this is the principal's opportunity to allow her to find a situation where maybe she won't get in so much trouble (my way of saying "yer outta there!"). But the evidence suggests otherwise. Let's assume it's an isolated incident in an otherwise spotless career and move on to the next problem.<br /><br />Did they have a knock-down drag out in the hallway with the teacher calling the boss every name in the book, with faculty, students and parents watching like rubberneckers at a 9-car pile-up on a freeway at rush hour? In that case she shouldn't expect anything other than what she got. But I doubt that's the case. Firing sounds too severe, but blackballing is just downright heavy-handed for the situation, I think. Let's just assume the principal is a p**** and move on to the next problem.<br /><br />Do you quit just because your colleague is treated unfairly? I admire 'em for doing that but question whether it was the smartest move.

NYMINUTE

Captain

How long before we send the kids "offshore" to be taught. Hell, we farm everything else out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> How long before we send the kids "offshore" to be taught. Hell, we farm everything else out.
:D where do I sign 'em up? :D

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /><br />There are a few things evident in this story, as I see it. I would say the teacher made the first stupid move by undermining the principle. She did not have to help the student to ensure her safety, but she DID help. That tells me the primary motive wasn't safety, and now the safety issue is just a convenient excuse, a smokescreen and ruse to recruit sympathizers. As a disobedient employee undermining the authority of her superiors because she doesn't agree with the punishment, nobody with sympathize with her. But as an adult concerned for a child's safety, how can she possibly lose? Her primary motive wasn't safety, but she'd like you to THINK it was.<br /><br />Did the principle overreact? Possibly, in fact very likely. His motive for not signing the certification renewal suggests he has an ego that does not take kindly to bruising.
wilk, you got any kids?<br />Leave them out there by them selves with just a security camera.<br />Second they are missing you are raising cane about how the punishiment was the cause and the principal should have never done it.<br /><br />Disobedient employee? :rolleyes: Your kidding right. These teachers are in charge of these kids. They are responsable for them all day. They make one decision that you don't like and now they are disobediant? The parents should be the ones to blame. I wish a pricipal would do something like that to my kid. You would hear about the whole thing on the news except it would be the pricipal who would be fired. :mad: <br /><br />Sounds like the principle is more the problem then anything. Might as well tell the kid to go out back and break off a switch.<br /><br /> "Did the principle overreact? Possibly, in fact very likely. His motive for not signing the certification renewal suggests he has an ego that does not take kindly to bruising." <br /><br />Finally a statement we can agree on. :) Show that he isn't playing with a full deck to start with.<br />BPG

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Repost again.....Gotta quit fat fingerin it. :rolleyes: Sorry

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If the kid is not doing her homework, the parents needed to be involved. The article did not mention any teacher parent meetings. Physical labor seems like the wrong punishment for the rules broken. <br /><br />I agree the teacher is using the saftey issue as a safety valve to get out of undermining the principals authority. She has brought her unemployment upon herself. <br /><br />I think the principal is wrong for the way he has handled the child's problem, but is right in not renewing the teachers contracts.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

This sounds like two rams buttin heads. The problem is that the pricipal has a little more weight. Tough break for the teacher, but to blackball her is not only childish, but the union rep should be doing more to assist. These both are examples of what is wrong with public education today,

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

My kid would not do his schoolwork and dreamed his days away in class (although he has a high IQ)so as a lesson and punishment we got him rubber gloves and some toilet cleaner and asked him to practice cleaning the toilet ,because if he would not stick in at school thats as far a he would get.He never complained and did a good job after the second day he said"how much does a toilet Attendant get paid? this is a great job" we knew we were beat .That teacher was right to stand up for what she believes in

aspeck

Staff member

Who missed the memo, "Don't undermine the boss?"<br /><br />Lot of unknowns here - but sounds like a bunch of wrongs being done. I, however, side with the principal up to the point he blackballs her.<br /><br />He had the position, permission, and authority - from administration and parents, so why does a teacher think she can butt her head into the situation? If she thought it was wrong shouldn't she have gone to the administration or parents with her feelings. There is a proper chain of command if you think a wrong is being made.<br /><br />Like I said, really too many unknowns to comment ...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Just a personal note. I would rather live next to and leave my children (If I had any) with 80% of the people on our shop floor (unskilled labor) than 80% of the teachers my wife works with. This is not to equate good and bad with financial status but that even those who are not nearly as educated, know better what is right and wrong and how to mold their kids into adults without the "modern and latest" techniques, but with the common sense that comes with actually caring more about the children than themselves. Todays teachers represent an financial investment from society (tax dollars for colleges, financial aid, tax deductions, etc) to improve our future. Unfortunately they are simply working against society with their selfish self-interests.<br /><br />If you all knew what types are teaching your children you would never send them to public schools. I know at least three that are IV drug users, 5 or more who are just truely hateful and mean (and their methods/approaches meet the definition of abuse on a daily basis), I actually met one that said she wanted to make a square bubble wand (arts and crafts class)so she could make square bubbles. Talk about an education wasted. None of them can agree on a uniform teaching program so they all use different methods so your children are hamstrung before they get off the bus. And what are the pricipal's? Glorified teachers and frequently ones who just "want to get along". And the downward death spiral continues with the kids in the middle.<br /><br />This is not to say that there are not good teachers and the ones that are are incredible. But the union and the world of political correctness, administrations more interested in the teachers than the students, and lowsy parents make the deck stacked against the kids and the minority of teachers who are more dedicated to our kids and their future than most of us can imagine.<br /><br />The true story, yet again unreported, is the impact on the students and the underlying issues that created this scenario. The teachers are not the ones truely hurt here, but that is who the story revolves around which is exactly what they want. It's all about them. False! 50% of the teachers my wife works with are not qualified to watch my dog overnight, in a wire kennel, with food and water provided in advance.<br /><br />rant over, but beware of who you think you are leaving your kids with every day.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Who missed the memo, "Don't undermine the boss?"<br /><br />Lot of unknowns here - but sounds like a bunch of wrongs being done. I, however, side with the principal up to the point he blackballs her.<br /><br />He had the position, permission, and authority - from administration and parents, so why does a teacher think she can butt her head into the situation? If she thought it was wrong shouldn't she have gone to the administration or parents with her feelings.
I think the administrations actions make it quite clear, she would have gotten nowhere. To big an ego in the way. She did the right thing.