Task Force Ike: Military action possible?

crunch

Commander
Re: Task Force Ike: Military action possible?

posted September 21, 2006 (web only)

Seems a bit strange the rest of the News media hasn't caught this in the last 19 days.....

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

You have lost your mind. If we were going to invade Iran, the New York Times would have day to day updates complete with GPS coordinates. They would be posting any and all design flaws in the design of the ships and writing editorials to rally the Iranians while demonizing Bush.

Invasion? Ha...

Pony

Rear Admiral

POINTER94 said:
You have lost your mind. If we were going to invade Iran, the New York Times would have day to day updates complete with GPS coordinates. They would be posting any and all design flaws in the design of the ships and writing editorials to rally the Iranians while demonizing Bush.

Invasion? Ha...

Kinda like Geraldo drawing plans in the sand..........

crunch

Commander

POINTER94 said:

Invasion? Ha...

lmao.gif
Right on.

woodrat

Ensign

"Seems a bit strange the rest of the News media hasn't caught this in the last 19 days..... "

There is a link in the article to a Time magazine cover article about it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I sure am glad they are giving Iran the "heads up".

This is just inexcusable.

Ken

woodrat

Ensign

What, reporting the news? Americans should be kept in the dark about possible plans for another war? Come on! If we follow the constitution, which we probably won't, then congress would need to debate this in public and either declare war, or cop out and let the president do it, like they did last time. There would be no element of surprise if we followed our own laws anyway.

This knee-jerk anger towards the media for reporting the news is a little disturbing. Would you rather just have state-run media so that all the state's secrets stay secret?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ever heard of closed door sessions and behind the scenes approvals for war?

I just think it is very irresponsible for the media to speculate in print on a possible "suprise" attack.

The author put his "scoop" story and personal wealth before the lives of the military.

Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=25883

not like this is earth shattering.
not like its a secret.
its tough to set that many ships and 40,000 plus troops out of port without someone seeing it.
a single carrier task force wont take out Iran anymore than it took out Iraq.
it can support an invasion if called for. its an incredible amount of firepower and terribly impresive if you have ever actually seen a battle group.
you can use google earth to track ships in and out of norfolk as well as most locl nespapers or just ride down the elizabeth river and see who is in and who is out.
its no secret we go on med cruises and pac cruises and all sorts of other foward power projection excersises.
why is it treason for a newspaper to print the battle group and x number of sailors went boat riding?
Janes defence has most the particulars on each of our battle groups if you care to read it.
I would rather them know we are prowling than to suprise them into doing something stupid.
I doubt the Iranian navy or airforce would last more than 24 hours if we decided to take them out. the ground war on the other hand would last years and years.
the only reason saddams airforce survived the 91 conflict is because they took what planes were left and high tailed it for Iran,then the Irainians would not give them back :).

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

woodrat said:
What, reporting the news? Americans should be kept in the dark about possible plans for another war? Come on! If we follow the constitution, which we probably won't, then congress would need to debate this in public and either declare war, or cop out and let the president do it, like they did last time. There would be no element of surprise if we followed our own laws anyway.

This knee-jerk anger towards the media for reporting the news is a little disturbing. Would you rather just have state-run media so that all the state's secrets stay secret?

So before the cops raid a meth lab, they should call them first to tell them they are on the way? They're american's so by you analogy...... Get real.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

There might also be the possibility that the administration wanted Iran to know that a task force was being deployed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

all the newspaper printed was what the USN released for publication, nothing more.
I believe the ike task force is to reliave the enterprise task force but have not checked.
its a simple fact of navy life, you do a 6 monyh,usually, deployment with a carrier group then get relieved and head back to home ports for refurbishment and training. been that way for years and years.
you can tell by the morning traffic around norfolk how many carriers are in port or out.
its very very hard to hide the movement of a carrier battle group as usually 20 plus ships and 60,000 sailors and marines are typically involved overall.
like I aid, its an incredible display of firepower.
especially when your doing 40 knots and the carrier is pulling away.

crunch

Commander

especially when your doing 40 knots and the carrier is pulling away.

Time to break out the skis. 8)

woodrat

Ensign

"So before the cops raid a meth lab, they should call them first to tell them they are on the way? They're american's so by you analogy...... Get real."

I didn't actually make an analogy.

As an EMT I was actually part of a meth lab bust, and you know, if anyone had been paying attention, the million cop cars gathering together at the county road shop and the giant truck that said "meth lab cleanup" or something like that on the side would have been a pretty good tip off, especially since part of the convoy got lost and wandered around the county for a while before showing up at the briefing.

And lo and behold, when the guys in black kicked down the door, the house was unoccupied. Was it because they saw all the cop cars, or were they just not home? Who knows? But I think war with Iran is something that concerns every american and we have a right to know to an extent, what is up. A little bit different than a meth lab bust, don't you think?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

woodrat said:
"So before the cops raid a meth lab, they should call them first to tell them they are on the way? They're american's so by you analogy...... Get real."

I didn't actually make an analogy.

As an EMT I was actually part of a meth lab bust, and you know, if anyone had been paying attention, the million cop cars gathering together at the county road shop and the giant truck that said "meth lab cleanup" or something like that on the side would have been a pretty good tip off, especially since part of the convoy got lost and wandered around the county for a while before showing up at the briefing.

And lo and behold, when the guys in black kicked down the door, the house was unoccupied. Was it because they saw all the cop cars, or were they just not home? Who knows? But I think war with Iran is something that concerns every american and we have a right to know to an extent, what is up. A little bit different than a meth lab bust, don't you think?

No I don't. I don't think that the movement of the military should be made public. Even then it should be after the fact. If we are going to send cruise missles into another country, the government tells you after the fact not before.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so I gues when 20 plus ships,a couple hundred aircraft and about 60,000 troops,a lot with families, leave for a 6 month,or longer, med cruise or a pac cruise maybe just maybe no one would notice. maybe lil jonny or sweet lil suzi wont notice mommy or daddy,or both are missing for 6 to 9 months.
just because the battle group is in the med or in the straits or indian ocean doesnt mean misles are aimed,armed and ready. in fact we dont stay at general quarters for 6 months.
its called a fwd projection of sea power and its been going on over 50 years.
we have had one or more carrier battle groups in that area of the world mostly year round over 20 years,
one group gets relieved by another and they get relieved by yet another.
a modern carrier is limited by crew endurance and not a lot more. the destroyer I was on could only run battle flank speed for 20 hours or so and we had to go find a teat to suckle.
general cruise was finding a teat about every 4 days.
them 4 LM2500 gas turbines coupled with the 3 allison gas turbine generators did not sip JP-5 at all.
however if we launch a tomahawk or a harpoon you can rest assured the world will know shortly after ignition and not before.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

There is a big difference between this

"The Navy group Ike set sail today for undisclosed locations"

and this:

"The Ike navy group set sail today probably to go to war with Iran. They carry X missles, X troops, etc"

Detailed information and speculation was unnessicary and only added to sell the article.

We are at war right now, arent we?

However, one must also consider parrot heads idea that this press release was put out by the government to get Iran to start playing nice.

Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

More info:

(links deactivated, insert a w in front)

ww.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=25883

ww.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/batgru-69-med07.htm

Ken

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I know when I was in the Army stationed in Korea, we were not allowed to even speak about where we were going to do training to any locals (newspaper report would do that). That is the position I am coming from.

But of course they knew when and where we going. Loose lips sink ships.