Tarpon

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have been getting a lot of tarpon down here at south padre island. Hooked six last year on big rattletraps, but most of the time they just ignore it. Anybody know any good tarpon lures or techniques?

Re: Tarpon

Hey Daigle Now when your fishing are you blind castin or are you fishing directly to a School???In the Tampa area if you throw a freelined crab into a school its game on. My boat landed 46 fish last season using the tech above.Good luck, try live bait, and bow!!!!!!1

Tarponmaster

Cadet

Tarpon will eat just about anything, when they want to. They can be a finicky fish sometimes. Like the above post said a freelined crab is game on, it is my prefered bait for my area. Cut bait like ladyfish chuncks or a catfish head works well. Big thread fins or sugartrout, and mullet are good. Some artificals I have been sucessful with are DOA baitbusters and storm swim baits. I can't wait for next season.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Tarponmaster!!<br /><br />will be down in Marathon the week of January 7th!! Do ya know how the tarpon fishing is in that area or has the fishing of tarpon gone by???<br /><br />Happy Holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

Tarponmaster

Cadet

Fly Rod,<br /><br />I don't get down to the keys much, except for lobster season, but I'm sure there are some "resident" tarpon there. In my area mostly juvenille fish are the ones that can be found year round. They are still a heck of fun. I would check around with the locals (baitshops or maybe a guide) when you get there. Good luck, and tight lines!