Taps

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know if any of you have seen this or not, but I was moved by it:<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------<br /><br /><br /> Taps<br />><br />>If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps were<br />>played; this brings out a new meaning of it.<br />><br />>Here is something Every American should know. Until I read this, I<br />>didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:<br />><br />>We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps". It's<br />>the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our<br />>eyes.<br />><br />>But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be<br />>interested to find out about its humble beginnings.<br />><br />>Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army<br />>Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison 's Landing in<br />>Virginia The Confederate Army was on! the other side of the narrow<br />>strip of land.<br />><br />>During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay<br />>severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or<br />>Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the<br />>stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach<br />>through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began<br />>pulling him toward his encampment.<br />><br />>When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was<br />>actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.<br />><br />>The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb<br />>with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his<br />>own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke<br />>out. Without telling his father, the boy enlist! ed in the Confederate<br />>Army.<br />><br />>The following mornin g, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his<br />>superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy<br />>status. His request was only partially granted.<br />><br />>The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play<br />>a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.<br />><br />>The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.<br />><br />>But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him<br />>only one musician.<br />><br />>The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of<br />>musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead<br />>youth's uniform.<br />><br />>This wish was granted.<br />><br />>The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps" ... used at military funerals<br />>was born.<br />><br />>The words are :<br />>Day is done... Gone the sun. From the lakes. From the hills.<br />>From the sky. All is ! well. Safely rest. God is nigh.<br />><br />>Fading light.<br />>Dims the sight. And a star. Gems the sky. Gleaming bright.<br />>From afar. Drawing nigh.<br />>Falls the night. Thanks and praise. For ourdays.<br />>Neath the sun. Neath the stars. Neath the sky. As we go.<br />>This we know. God is nigh.<br />><br />><br />>I too have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never<br />>seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was<br />>more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I<br />>didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.<br />><br />>I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.<br />><br />>Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.<br />><br />>And also those presently serving in the Armed Forces

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Taps

Holdimhook,<br /><br />That's a great story about the most moving bugle call ever written - it still gives me goosebumps and a tear when I hear it at Arlington. Unfortunately, it is not a true story - here's the real one Snopes

D

DJ

Holdemhook wrote:<br /><br />
We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps". It's<br />>the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our<br />>eyes.<br />
I agree, it is the most revered of melodies.<br /><br />However, too many today have not a clue that it means: one died for what he/she believed. <br /><br />Sad, sad.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I've heard where its getting hard to find people that play taps. They now have a bugle with a recording in it. I have played my bagpipes at funerals before and it is one of the most difficult times. You can't help get all chocked up with the event, pray for help to get through it.

D

DJ

All thumbs,<br /><br />One that ALWAYS gets me is "Amazing Grace" played on the "pipes".<br /><br />I can't keep the eyes or nose dry.<br /><br />But hey, I'm a sentimentalist. I always get a little choked when I concentrate on the "stars and stipes.<br /><br />Salute!

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Played it thousands of times and it still gets me too. Finished it many a times with tears in my eyes.

D

DJ

all thumbs,<br /><br />Keep it up. <br /><br />You have my support.<br /><br />God Bless You.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fallen Active duty soldiers get Taps played two times in their honor. The first time is at the memorial service just after the First Sergeant (1SG) has called roll. Talk about a tearjerker. The First Sergeant will call roll it sounds like this. Pvt Jones, here 1SG, PFC Smith, here First Sergeant, SGT Thomas, here First Sergeant, then the First Sergeant will call the fallen solders name no response First Sergeant call fallen soldiers name a little louder with no response the First Sergeant will call the fallen soldiers name the third and final time no response then TAPS will play. All that can be heard is the grieving widow crying. For myself the roll call is the most emotional part one can experience especially if you know and have served with the fallen soldier. The second time is at the gravesite service just after the follies have been fired.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Amazing Grace" on the pipes gets me everytime. "Taps" on the horn gets me too but not as much as "Amazing Grace." Not sure why.

bubbakat

Captain

Booner we had an officer with the dept I work with here. He went to work here in 1966. He was 85 years old and was a WWII vet. We did the roll call for him and then taps was played.<br />The sheriff called dispatch on the radio and signed him off as 10-7. It makes for a sad day.<br /><br />This man was still active on the force up until 3 months ago when he had a stroke. The sheriff still hasen't filled his slot yet.

NathanY

Commander

At my father's funeral, back in May, they played Taps over a loud-speaker. I was told that not many companies made bugles anymore and even fewer people can play one. Nonetheless, I still lost it.

D

DJ

bubba,<br /><br />That is REALLY special. Not meant in jest-REAL.<br /><br />Keep, a place, in your heart, for a REAL American.