Tan Wire In Harness

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the tan wire in the wiring harness for? They appear to go to the cylinder head into some hole that appears to have rubber or glue in it. They also look to be in very bad shape. In the manual it looks like they are some sort of ground. Could these wires cause the engine to not cut off when the key is turned off because they are in terrible condition?

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tan Wire In Harness

The hole in the head with the rubber in it is a temp sensor for your alarm.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears that they are coming out of the hole. How can I go about fixing this?

daselbee

Commander

All the tan wires...tan and tan with different color stripes are for the alarm systems. On a V6 looper, you have two temp sensors at the top of the heads near the thermostats, one coming from the VRO oil tank, one coming from the VRO pump, and one coming from the vacuum switch. I hope I haven't missed one...
The wire is supposed to come out of the sensor in the head, and go directly to a male/female connector..within maybe 2 inches. You can disconnect it there for servicing.
The proper way to fix the sensor would be to get a new temp sensor.

If any of the tan wires are grounded, either intentionally (for testing) or by normal proper operation, the warning horn will sound.

They will not affect the running of the engine. The condition that caused the horn to sound will definitely affect the running of the engine. Overheat, no/low oil, or excessive fuel line vacuum.

Last edited: