Talk about Luck!?!?!

aspeck

Staff member
Man Finds Nail in Skull Six Days Later<br /><br />Sun Jan 16, 7:27 PM ET<br />By ERIN GARTNER, Associated Press Writer<br /><br />LITTLETON, Colo. - A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.<br /><br />A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on Jan. 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.<br /><br />Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.<br /><br />"We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking ... then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,'" Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."<br /><br />He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent a four-hour surgery. The nail had plunged 1 1/2 inches into his brain, barely missing his right eye, Metcalse said.<br /><br />"This is the second one we've seen in this hospital where the person was injured by the nail gun and didn't actually realize the nail had been imbedded in their skull," neurosurgeon Sean Markey told KUSA-TV in Denver. "But it's a pretty rare injury."<br /><br />Lawler was recovering Sunday in the hospital, where he was expected to spend several more days.<br /><br />Despite his lack of medical insurance and hospital bills between $80,000 and $100,000, Katerina Lawler said her husband is in good spirits.<br /><br />"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,'" she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Talk about Luck!?!?!

Heard that on the news this morning... Somebody, I forget who, said this is not the first time this has happened. Sounds like the guy is related to Tim "The Toolman". :eek:

aspeck

Staff member

Kind of makes me shudder when I think of the times I have had a nail gun backfire!

aspeck

Staff member

Dreaded double post! Oh well, best make use of it - GO STEELERS!

aspeck

Staff member

Update:<br /><br />DENVER (Reuters) - Doctors who removed a 4-inch (10-cm) nail from a Colorado construction worker's skull have left him with huge headache -- a $100,000 hospital bill.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Patrick Lawler, 23, who was recovering on Tuesday from surgery to remove the nail, said he had no health insurance and would have to find a way to pay the whopping bill after he is released from the hospital this week.<br /><br />Lawler walked around with the nail in his skull for six days before seeking medical attention after accidentally shooting himself with a nail gun on a construction site.<br /><br />He said he did not realize the pain in his mouth and blurred vision were the result of a nail in his head.<br /><br />"We just thought it was like a big contusion or a punch," he told reporters.<br /><br />Asked what was going through his mind as he sat in a press conference contemplating the nail, Lawler replied: "a new career."<br /><br />**************************************************<br />Wonder what line of work he is wanting to get into now?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know fellows, but I think I would know if something shot into my mouth and buried itself in the roof of my mouth. :rolleyes: <br />EDIT: Here come the trial lawyers now.

gaugeguy

Captain

story.xray.kusa.jpg
<br /><br />OUCH, OUCH, OUCH :eek:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I worked construction for a while yars back. We used to hold the safety on the nail guns, and shoot each other. Especially if you saw a co-worker bend over presenting a target.<br />I have seen one person send a nail into his own leg once too. The nail came out with such speed and force that he didn't realize he had a nail in his leg for about 3 minutes.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

how do shoot a nail into the roof of your mouth?<br /><br />and not even know????<br /><br />good thing his brain is real small eh? :p

Twidget

Commander

This brings new meaning to the expression 'Numb Skull". How could you not notice a 'small' thing like that?

gaugeguy

Captain

$100,000 to pull a nail :confused: I would have done it for free with my trusty Estwing :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Saw an article several years ago about this guy working on this sunroof installation and as he stepped down his antenna went up his nostril. From what I recall it traveled quite a way, and he had no damage. My nose hurts everytime I see an antenna. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!