Talk about email fraud!!

spratt

Lieutenant
blujay.com is fast becoming popular!! Here is an email I received from an ad on there:<br /><br />To: (my email address) <br />Subject: payment address needed <br />From: "NELSON" <nelsonw@excite.com> Add to Address Book <br />Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:01:54 -0500 (EST) <br /><br /> <br />Thanks for the quick response,i locate in holland and i saw the pic .the price is okay by me and their no need for me to take a look at the boat becuase am far away from usa and i will like you to delete the advest from the web and if another person try to mail you tell him that is as been sold pls i need it . so dont worry about the shipment i have a shipping agent that carter for my pickups anywhere in the world.I will instruct my client to send you a cashier's check of $4.000 .so what you have to do immediately the check gets to you just deduct the funds for the boat and send the excess amount to my shippingagent so that they can be able to pick the boat up from you destination.I want you to forward me with your<br />full name:<br />address:<br />cell phone number#:<br />zipcode:<br />state:<br />country:<br />Expecting your response back<br /> <br /><br /><br />How could someone in Holland POSSIBLY NEED my little 1969 15' boat and trailer so bad as to have it shipped from the USA to Holland!!???

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Talk about email fraud!!

Hey FB, don't take long does it?<br />I guess some people have nothing else to do but this crap.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Send them all kinds of fake info, and somehow get them to send a check. Tear up the check when you get it. Then they will be out a lot of time and money.<br /><br />Ken

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear this scam is becoming more common. They send you a bad cashiers check, but by the time your bank indentifies it as bad, they've already cashed the check you sent them for the 'excess' and you're screwed. I like Kens idea, but make sure you send them fake info (including name). I'd be as worried about identity theft issues as being ripped off for whatever anyone sends their 'shipping agent'. About the only real info I'd include would be address (or better yet a po box number if you've got one) so you can get the check. Like he said, tear up the check. It's no good and you don't want to be party to fraud.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Take it from some one that knows.<br />Delete, delete, delete and don't even fool with them.<br />I got lucky but some don't.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like Lake said, I have also herd of this before. Pretty nasty scam. For me it is no merchandise or money back till the check clears. Sorry, if you want it that bad you will wait or send/bring cash. You could also tell them to send you a check for the cost for the boat (you will release the boat when clears) and pay the shipper himself. Or my favorite “call someone who deals with scams, like the cops”.

spratt

Lieutenant

I did reply, as this was actually my xecond email from this guy. I told him that I wanted all his personal info, along witht he Cartier's info, and tehn to provide his cartier with my email addy, and I would deal with that person. He was also to send the check to the cartier, then that person can pay me cash, and I would neel all personal info to do the title transfer(s).<br /><br />I have no plan to go along with this, as I am well aware of the scams out there, and I told him I did not trust this communication. If it is real, it will bear out, but if not, the same...I am also saving the emails so as to report it to the authorities if it escalates into anything that represents fraud at all. Evidently the email address is real.<br /><br />Someone ought to offer to sell him a 30 foot cruiser or something :D

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Steer clear of the rocky shoals if you please Cap'n!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I don't really see a problem so far.Just tell the guy to send a certified bank check to your address or PO Box.If it arrives, great, if not ,nothing lost.<br />One funny thing though.This guy writing to you does not have a typically dutch phrase structure.Your little boat might just be used for some money laundering.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Son-in-law got this kind of email on a motorcycle he was selling -- buyer wanted it shipped sight unseen etc. After a few emails back and forth; ended when S-I-L said he wanted the buyer to see it before paying for it -- besides S-I-L said: he likes to conlude all sells with a hug and kiss. Never heard back from the 'buyer'.

SpinnerBait_Nut

And he will reply that he has a client in the states that owes him X amount of money and the said client will send you a cashiers check for said amount and that you should send the extra to him via western union or something to that effect.<br /><br />Been there done that and as i said, I lucked out.<br />Most don't.

spratt

Lieutenant

After I emailed this guy with my requests for all his personal info, there have been no more emails from him. Looks like a scam in the making, which I thought all the time. I had even mentioned in the email I was concerned this was a fraud, but he could prove me wrong...<br /><br />This is absolutely the first time I had ever seen this kind of scam being worked!! Now I know what to look for...thanks folks for the input!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

BEWARE!<br />the cashier's check will no doubt be a forgery.<br />how hard is it to print a fake check with the<br />technology avail. today.<br />it will look kosher and your bank will accept it<br />and even credit your account... until... they<br />realize it's a fake 2 or 3 mo. later and then<br />deduct the amount from your account.<br /><br />tell him to have his bank wire you the money.<br />that is something that can not be faked.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /> After I emailed this guy with my requests for all his personal info, there have been no more emails from him. Looks like a scam in the making, which I thought all the time. I had even mentioned in the email I was concerned this was a fraud, but he could prove me wrong...<br /><br />This is absolutely the first time I had ever seen this kind of scam being worked!! Now I know what to look for...thanks folks for the input!!
Good catch on this. Have a few close encounters described by friends recently on ebay.