taking on water

"B"

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Spectrum 1700 rivit hull. I'm taking on lots of water. Way more than last year. I know the keel seem is weeng and fixed all of the weepy rivits. So what other possibilities could it be? How can I seal te keel without taking up the flooring? I've read about Gluvit and that sounds like a fix but again I don't want to take up the floor (more rivits).
Thanks

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: taking on water

I have a 1989 Spectrum 1700 rivit hull. I'm taking on lots of water. Way more than last year. I know the keel seem is weeng and fixed all of the weepy rivits. So what other possibilities could it be? How can I seal te keel without taking up the flooring? I've read about Gluvit and that sounds like a fix but again I don't want to take up the floor (more rivits).
Thanks
As you've noted, you can't apply the Gluvit without removing the floor, but the first step would be to find the leak. Most folks fill their boats up to the normal waterline from a garden hose and look for water streaming from somewhere. That's a fair bit of weight, equivalent to your boat's weight as it would sit on the water if my memory of Archimede's principle serves me right. So, you'll be doubling the normal weight on your trailer. Make sure all your pads/rollers are sturdy and adjust the trailer to waterline level. After testing at level, adjusting the tongue height will allow you to increase the water depth fore and aft (only) without adding more water. Use a marker or tape and a camera to record drips for posterity. Maybe all you need is a new rivet or maybe a chine is cracked. That'll help make your mind up about removing the floor. - Grandad