taking off problem

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice
with a few runs now in the boat having one small problem. 25 1982 rude...<br /><br />When taking off after just starting the motor, it will die but if i pump the primer bulb it will keep it going, then usually after that all is well.<br /><br />i suspect 1 or 2 things.<br /><br />1 being i have only put one lot of fuel in it and used unleaded as i couldnt find LRP ( australia) would this have anything to do with the timing? making it run maybe a bit lean <br /><br />2 the twist hand grip is a bit dodgey and will skip off the gear if twisted too much , perhaps it has jumped a bit putting the timing in wrong spot

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: taking off problem

it sounds like a fuel delivery or carb problem. 87 octane mixed 50 to 1 is fine.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Also check the fuel lines for air leaks especially at the connectors. How long has it been since the carbs were overhauled?

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

ok, think it could be the fuel line from tank to motor.<br />unsure on carb but i will prob do it shortly to be sure and know where everything is at

Walker

Captain

Are you pumping the bulb up before you start the first time??

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

yes before i start but how much should i be pumping it?<br /><br />do i need to do this after every stop when i go to restart?

jerni21

Seaman Apprentice

just when you start, the bulb should be hard as in not being able to squeeze it more than 1/4 of the way, and it sounds like u have air in your lines, same things happen to me

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If the problem is air getting in the fuel lines at the connectors replace the little O rings at the end of the connector.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys that sounds like the problem.<br /><br />the bulb gets a bit squishy after a while so must be leaking air.

ob

Admiral

grantrs,The fuel line bulb will be a slightly soft when running,just not colapsed.Insure that your fuel tank is vented properly as well.When you initially pump up the primer bulb before starting the engine ,it should pump up firm and hold.This will insure that the carb needle valves are holding and that there are no fuel leaks downstream(from bulb to carb inlets) of the primer bulb.