takeoff problems

lmoreau

Seaman
Would a 1/2 to 3/4 of the way clogged fuel filter (the clear glass kind) cause bogging down out of the hole, but run fine at WOT on plane? With the motor trimmed all of the way down, and if you stomp on it, you only get about 3500-4000 rpms and about a 7-8 sec hole shot. Once it's up, it runs like a scalded cat. It's a 150 Merc. 89 model.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: takeoff problems

Could be....<br /><br />Also clogged low speed jets in the carbs??????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Or a sticky stator not advancing the timing in synch with the advanced throttle.

lmoreau

Seaman

If it was either of the two, why would it run perfectly fine at WOT on plane?

lmoreau

Seaman

18.5 ft bass boat, 4 blade turbo prop, unsure of pitch...not stamped on the outside. Pitch will allow 5600rpm at WOT with motor trimmed up.

nbnewbie

Seaman

have same problem with 175 hp merc does your problem go away with the engine cover off? mine did changed the cover to engine seal

lmoreau

Seaman

Hmm...is that maybe indicative of an exhaust leak? I'll have to try that.

lmoreau

Seaman

Do you guys know what seals tbb is speaking about here? I took his advice and it made a really big difference. Much better accel from dead stop.

lmoreau

Seaman

Are these easy to change, or do they require major dissassembly?

KCLOST

Commander

Run the engine on the muffs with the cowling off... And see if you detect an exhaust leak anywhere. The exhaust manifold is in between the cylinder heads and the powerhead gasket is underneath the block....<br /><br />The manifold is the easier of the two, just removal of a bunch of bolts, clean things up and replace gasket. The powerhead gasket is tougher due to the fact of having to lift the block from the driveshaft housing...