Tachometer

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone show me how to hook up this tach? I color color coded the terminals so it will be easy for you to describe and for me to understand. :)

Attachments

• tach.jpg
    tach.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tachometer

your camera is to far from tach, cant read the writing

battery is for a hot wire from ign. switch on
sender would be gray from yellow wire on the rectifier
blk would be for a ground wire
other connection is from ligth switch

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like a power wire for your gauges to light up for viewing at night. So where its always or just comes on when you flip a switch, just like you dash does in your car.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The wiring information is provided on the back of the tach just to the left of the adjustment.
BAT = +12 volts when the ignition is in the RUN position.
GND = Ground
IGN or SEND = Connection to the ignition system. Since we have no idea what you are working on that's as much detail as we can provide.
There is another connection at the very top of the tach. This is "light switch" connection for the internal tach light. It connects to the same switch that turns on the navigation and anchor lights.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

OK just got the tach in the mail. As you can see in my original pic there are 4 round posts and 1 flat male post. The post that reads SIG also says Sync STBD. The post on the far right says Sync Port.
What does the word Sync mean? The tach is being hooked up to a 1975 Merc 115. There is a plug-in on the front of my control box for a 3 prong tach harness. Do I need this harness? If so where can I get one?
Thanks for the help!

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

OK just got the tach in the mail. As you can see in my original pic there are 4 round posts and 1 flat male post. The post that reads SIG also says Sync STBD. The post on the far right says Sync Port.
What does the word Sync mean? The tach is being hooked up to a 1975 Merc 115. There is a plug-in on the front of my control box for a 3 prong tach harness. Do I need this harness? If so where can I get one?
Thanks for the help!

bump!

Moody Blue

Captain

Just a guess but it sounds like that tach is configured for a dual outboard setup? Can you check the mfr website for tech info? Most mfr's have very good online references.

As for the harness, you can either buy one from someplace like ebay (bought mine for $9.99) or make your own using insulated male spade terminals and three pieces of wire the right length. The spade terminals will (individually) plug into the plug on the front of the Mercontrol box. Looking at the plug on the box, the bottom horiz = (+12), top horiz = (gnd) and the vert = (signal). Wrap the three wires in some split loom or other protective sheathing.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

Just a guess but it sounds like that tach is configured for a dual outboard setup? Can you check the mfr website for tech info? Most mfr's have very good online references.

As for the harness, you can either buy one from someplace like ebay (bought mine for $9.99) or make your own using insulated male spade terminals and three pieces of wire the right length. The spade terminals will (individually) plug into the plug on the front of the Mercontrol box. Looking at the plug on the box, the bottom horiz = (+12), top horiz = (gnd) and the vert = (signal). Wrap the three wires in some split loom or other protective sheathing.

As of right now I have the Battery, Ground, and Light hooked up on the tach and they all work. The only one left to do is the Signal terminal. If I just run a single wire with an insulated male spade to the vertical slot on the control box and connect it to that Signal post will it still work?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK just got the tach in the mail.
It can't hurt to hook it up and see if it works. If it burns out the gauge, you wouldn't have been able to use it anyways. I don't recognize your particular gauge as an outboard compatible gauge. The way to hook up a outboard compatible tach gauge to an outboard motor has been well described above. If the tach that you have is different than described above and you want to know if or how to use it anyways, you probably need to provide more info than a picture of the gauge, such as the manufacture brand and model number. If you determine that you have a non-outboard compatible gauge, you will need to buy another gauge.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

It can't hurt to hook it up and see if it works. If it burns out the gauge, you wouldn't have been able to use it anyways. I don't recognize your particular gauge as an outboard compatible gauge. The way to hook up a outboard compatible tach gauge to an outboard motor has been well described above. If the tach that you have is different than described above and you want to know if or how to use it anyways, you probably need to provide more info than a picture of the gauge, such as the manufacture brand and model number. If you determine that you have a non-outboard compatible gauge, you will need to buy another gauge.

The gauge is a Faria, I don't know the model # off the top of my head but it is for I/O engines AND 12 Pole O/B's. The only questions I have are #1 - Can I use a single male adapter to plug into the front of the control box for the Signal or do I need to buy/make all 3 male adapters. And question #2 - I changed my internal engine wiring harness and hooked the brown Tach wire back up to the switch box. Do I need to move that wire or use a jumper wire to connect it to the rectifier or stator wires?

Moody Blue

Captain

Yes you can plug a single wire into the tach connector on the control box. You already have +12 and GND connected. The +12 should be switched by the ignition key.

No idea if it will work or not. The sync thing is puzzling but hey, give it a try.

You need to remove the brown wire from the PORT side of the switchbox (NOT the distrib side) and connect it to either side of the rectifier (yellow wires from stator). Leave the brown terminal on the switchbox un-terminated.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

Correct me if i'm wrong but the brown wire only runs to the starboard side of the switch box. It's a Thunderbolt Ignition if that has anything to with it so the distributor is located on the port side.

Moody Blue

Captain

OOOp's my mistake, sorry:(. I was thinking of the orientation from the wrong perspective. The STARBOARD side is the correct side to remove the brown wire from the switchbox.

There is also a brown wire on the PORT side of the switchbox that runs to the distributor. Don't mess with that one.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

Alright! All done and it even WORKS! thanks for all the help!

New horn, bow lights, and windshield wiper motor and i'll be completley finished with this thing :)...(knock on wood)

Moody Blue

Captain

...... and i'll be completley finished with this thing :)...(knock on wood)

No you won't :D. There is ALWAYS something else to install, repair, replace, upgrade, remove etc etc.

Glad things worked out with the tach.