Tachometer wiring

the rebel

Seaman
Hi all, I have gone through several tach questions from the search list and have not seen this particular problem. I have an 82 Fisher Marine Marsh Hawk with a 75 horse Johnson, my problem is the tach doesn't work. I have pulled the tach out of the console and there are only two wires coming from the center grommet. Black and grey. I know the grey wire is from the sender and the black wire is going to ground, not sure if that is correct(black wire), but that is the way it is wired now. I was under the impression that there should also be a power lead from the Ign. switch to power it up. The tach is an AquaMeter brand. I can post a pic if needed, but is a pain on this computer. I see no provision for a power lead to be connected on the back of the tach. Anyone know of AquaMeter gauges and how they are wired for Big White Johnsons? Thanks.BWJ

the rebel

Seaman
Re: Tachometer wiring

Ok, I just checked my charging system. I'm not getting any charge to the battery. Voltage is staying the same when I rev the engine. I checked the stator and the rectifier as per my manual. All my readings indicate good parts. Stator has continuity when checking both(yellow, yellow/grey) leads. rectifier checks out good, reading one way and no reading the other way on all wires. Connections are clean and tight so far. Big White Johnson needs some help guys. BWJ