tachometer doesn't work

dwco5051

Commander
If you mean which wire feeds the signal the standard color codes specify that the wire should be gray. It also requires a positive 12v power feed usually from the ignition switch (Either red or red/purple) and a black negative ground. Yours may vary depending on the age of the boat and/or if the wires have been fooled around with before.
It might help if you would tell us what boat and motor.

twincheye

Cadet
If you mean which wire feeds the signal the standard color codes specify that the wire should be gray. It also requires a positive 12v power feed usually from the ignition switch (Either red or red/purple) and a black negative ground. Yours may vary depending on the age of the boat and/or if the wires have been fooled around with before.
It might help if you would tell us what boat and motor.
It's a 1993 chaparral 4.3 4brl carb. I also found out on a test run that engine runs fine at idle but at about a third throttle it starts to bog down while doing this I adjusted the trim of motor, When i went up or down with trim switch the motor stopped bogging picked up rpm and speed like normal. I let off the switch and motor goes back to bogging down. What the heck am I up against here ? Please Help ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a 1993 chaparral 4.3 4brl carb. I also found out on a test run that engine runs fine at idle but at about a third throttle it starts to bog down while doing this I adjusted the trim of motor, When i went up or down with trim switch the motor stopped bogging picked up rpm and speed like normal. I let off the switch and motor goes back to bogging down. What the heck am I up against here ? Please Help ?
answered in your other thread. stop starting multiple threads on same topic.

twincheye

Cadet
ok not starting a other thread , This is part of the ongoing problem , I did find some loose connections. tightened them all up ,checked the grounds. problem persist, As I said in last thread , bogs down , hit the trim up or down it give the engine a boost. let off trim it's back to bogging down. I'm confused of what to do. Any advise Scott, It is very much appreciated.

twincheye

Cadet
ok not starting a other thread , This is part of the ongoing problem , I did find some loose connections. tightened them all up ,checked the grounds. problem persist, As I said in last thread , bogs down , hit the trim up or down it give the engine a boost. let off trim it's back to bogging down. I'm confused of what to do. Any advise Scott, It is very much appreciated.
Could anyone advise me on this problem , A boat mechanic advised me ,The tack could be at fault , I got the working , But problem persist, Could this be a timing advance issue?