Tachometer and alternator poles

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I apologize if this has been covered already. (I've searched for my topic but haven't found one exactly matching)

I have a 1988 Force 50hp model D and a Teleflex tachometer. Looking at the application guide it seems to say 50hp (>1987 A,B models - am I reading this as all 50hp models after the previously mentioned?). I haven't hooked up the tach yet for fear of frying it and not being able to return it.

My question is, how many poles does my specific alternator have and will this tach work on it? The application guide seems to say my model will work?

Again, I apologize if this has been covered but I can't seem to find out exactly how many poles my specific motor has.

Thanks!

Chad

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tachometer and alternator poles

I looked at the parts diagram from Mercury Marine for the 1988 Force 50 hp motor. It appears that all the stators in 1988 50 hp models were 20 pole.

The best thing is to call teleflex with the model and serial number off your motor and ask them if the tach is the correct one.

BTW, 20 pole stators were common on force motors.

edit: correction, I meant 1988.

blueoval78

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Teleflex; they were unable to help me. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this information?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Teleflex; they were unable to help me. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this information?

20 poles is 20 poles. If the tach specs do not support 20 poles (and 95% do not) then it will not work. Do a search on yahoo for marine tach for force and see what you find. Also http://greatlakesskipper.com/ usually has them.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I know for sure that you can get old 20 pole Faria tachs on ebay. Maybe even craigs list or try a marina.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the website your on right now offers 20 pole tachs right here .. i recently purchased a 4 pack set with 20 pole tach 160 i believe