Tach/Voltage trouble on a '86 Evinrude 150

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was out the other day running the boat... and at high RPM's (>3800) the tach would drop to zero intermittently. More so, the faster I went. Checked the volts and they would drop also in conjunction the Tach dropping.

I'm going to throw out a guess as a faulty Voltage Reg/Rectifier... But can anyone help with advice?

Thanks in advance,
TopNotch

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tach/Voltage trouble on a '86 Evinrude 150

Sounds likely but check all your connections in case it is just a bad connection.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the quick reply... It was flat calm out there when I was running.

Where's a good place to find a voltage regulator online, and are they easy to install?? I'm not near my boat now, where is it located on the engine?

ratkiller

Cadet

Yup, regulator/rectifier. Same thing on my Johnson GT150. Intermittent tach, drop right down to zero then start back up after a few moments. Changed out the regulator/rectifier. Worth noting that I didn't replace it right away. Had a high speed WOT skip and eventually kept blowing the 20 amp fuse. All these problems went away once I changed out the regulator/rectifier. Big dollars though.
Ratkiller

denlou

Seaman

The voltage reg. is under the back of the flywheel so that will have to be pulled to get to it.
Wiring is straight forward.

Ratkiller is right, they are pricey http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0395204.html

I picked up a used one from a boat salvage yard for $45 so that's another option.